Home Forum Ask A Member 1948 Champion Blue Ribbon 2K Lower Unit Seals

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    joemallon
    Participant

WOW!!!! Thank you so much for giving me that bit of info on my boat! I have been scouring the internet looking for information on the boat, every time I take it out on the water people flag me down to ask about what it is. The BMV here in Ohio told me that it was a 1953 Crestliner Commander and I didn’t question it. When I got the boat I had actually been told that it was a 1973 model! I am definitely going to have to join that Crestliner forum now because I am determined to bring it back to its former glory. Thank you sooo much for the picture of your boat, that helps immensely with figuring out what the previous owners have done over the years to alter it from its factory state. Its going to take ALOT of work, but now I am determined to reverse the damage that has been done to it over the years. Let me see if I can come up with some more pictures of it.

Thanks again,
      Joe

joemallon
      Participant

Here are some pics of it at my workshop, any advice at all on reversing the damage done by previous owners would be greaty appreciated!

Attachments:

joemallon
        Participant

Here are a few more showing the transom in the process of getting replaced this past spring and also a couple more of the motors that I am in the process of rebuilding, the CC Challenger is my winter project motor, saved it from a scrap yard in Painesville Ohio 😀

Thanks,
          Joe

Attachments:

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member

Looks like you have built a nice sturdy transom. I suggest you post all your boat photos on the board at retrocrestliner.com. The people there, like the people here, are very helpful.

Another piece of trivia regarding your boat. The hull is the same as the highly sought after Crestliner 12 foot Jetstreak 2-passenger boat, except the Jetstreak has fins.
            Dave

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

Look on your boat for the model/serial number stamped in the starboard side just below the gunnel 3 or 4 feet back from the bow. It may be filled in with paint. Below is a photo of mine – note it is just below where the windshield would be if yours still had one. This format was new for Crestliner in 1957. It might be under your license sticker.
              Dave

joemallon
              Participant

So, the model number/serial is 550-519H, and it has a small glove box with a Crestliner tag built into the front under the deck. I honestly cant tell from looking at it if it was added by a previous owner when they cut down the deck or if it came like that from the factory, underneath of the green carpet that covers the entire inside of the boat it looks to be a formed aluminum panel with the glove box built into it. I will post the pictures on the Crestliner forum when i get a chance. Any thoughts???

Thanks,
                Joe

Attachments:

outbdnut2
                Participant

US Member

If you go back in this string to page 2 to the photo of my model 550, you will see that your front deck has been cut out to shorten the deck and you can see the factory glove box was originally in the center of the dashboard. The vertical surface yours is now mounted on is not stock. That glovebox was standard on the 550, but optional on most other Crestliners in 1957.

The H at the end of your serial number means it was made in Virginia. Those without the H , like mine, were made in Minnesota.

Here’s the whole catalog for 1957:

http://retrocrestliner.com/1957CrestlinerCatalog%20.htm
                  Dave

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.