Home Forum Ask A Member 1952 Johnson 25HP (RD-13) crank seal?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    jpatti75
    Participant

US Member

10-4!

Thanks,
      Jason

jpatti75
      Participant

US Member

Alright, I was starting to get everything back together tonight, and my brain failed me on the carburetor linkage. How do I properly install these two pieces. The reason I ask, is that the piece on the left is not on my RD-12/13 diagrams, and I don’t see what purpose it serves (I’m not a smart man). I also noticed that I am missing the large linkage spring that connects to the piece on the right. 😕

david-bartlett
        Participant

Jason,

I found a picture in the Johnson Service manual that may help.

Attachments:

jpatti75
          Participant

US Member

Thanks, David. I think the diagram is showing that the piece on the left goes on the linkage shaft first. The linkage rod connected to the carburetor gets connected to the top left hole on the piece on the right. If that is right, I still don’t see what role the piece on the left serves? It doesn’t appear to connect to anything?

david-bartlett
            Participant

I have no idea about the piece on the left. Gotta love changes from year to year.

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Recoil starter lockout???

jpatti75
                Participant

US Member

I’ve been trying to find pictures of powerheads from the time period on the ol’ interwebs. This piece certainly was gone by the time OMC switched to the cam rollers on the linkage in 1955. I’ve seen a couple powerhead pictures that don’t show that piece, just like the diagrams I have for the RD-14/15. I am going to install it in the only way it looks possible to. It doesn’t look like it at all comes into play on the carburetor function, so maybe it is some kind of recoil starter lock out like you suggest, Frank.

Does anyone have the part number for the spring that connects the linkage with a small tab on the manifold cover on the RD-13? 303296?

Thanks,
                  Jason

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

Closest thing I have is RD-14, shows a spring #303296

jpatti75
                    Participant

US Member

Thanks, Frank!

jpatti75
                      Participant

US Member

Just wanted to say a word of thanks to David Bartlett, Frank, and Ed Elliott for the help and parts for my RD-13. I went into this job thinking it needed the crankshaft seal and a coil, but of course it also needed new condensers, points (it had misaligned Sierra points), ignition cam, one spark plug boot, and carburetor linkage spring. Nothing major, but not the runner it was advertised to be (are they ever!). I ran it on my flushette today, and after a few pulls it fired up and ran very well. I got the carburetor pretty close and hope to get the boat wet next weekend to do the fine tuning.

Thanks for the help, gents!
                        JP

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 29 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.