Home Forum Ask A Member 1952 Johnson Seahorse RD12 25 HP – Removing Flywheel and Source for Ignition Parts

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

the best tool to adjust points… if you do not use the VOM method on utube

Richard White aomci) sells them

btw looks like the BOAT INFO SITE is off line again 🙁 🙁

Attachments:

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

david-bartlett
      Participant

I am going to bet your points are aftermarket. Get some OEM points and your issues with adjustment will likely go away.

cajuncook1
        Participant
          quote david bartlett:

I am going to bet your points are aftermarket. Get some OEM points and your issues with adjustment will likely go away.

I agree with David Barlett. Members have reported issues with after market points these past 4yrs. Get a pair OEM points.

Cajun

amuller
          Participant

Is the stator plate reasonably tight on it’s mount? Is there excessive side play in the crank? Is the cam loose on the crank, or cracked? I’ve seen several of these ignitions where the primary coil lead has rubbed on the flywheel hub, grounding things out, sometime intermittently, but I don’t see the leads exposed here. Likewise, if the ground leads are worn completely through there will be problems. Condensers can check out OK with a VOM but still be leaky. You might want to swap them out. It’s not too common, but possible, for someone to have used an arm puller on the flywheel and pulled it out of shape. Many people would probably agree that the quality of old-style ignition parts has been deteriorating, and that probably includes new OMC "OEM" parts.

1949-penn-yan
            Participant

Thanks for the replies.

1. The stator plate is tight, there is no excessive lateral/horizontal/radial play in the crank, the cam fits snugly (no cracks) and the key is in good shape.

2. Points: we are experiencing the same issue with poor quality, aftermarket points in the vintage VW and Porsche world. Does anyone know the correct part number for the points on a 1952 RD12 25 HP Johnson Seahorse? This will enable me to search for OEM (finger’s cross) points online. As previously noted, marineengine.com does not offer parts for Johnson outboards prior to 1955.

Thanks, in advance.

John

1949-penn-yan
              Participant

Is the correct part # 580122?

bobw
                Participant

US Member

Correct number for ignition points should be 580148. You can see commonly used parts dating back to 1951 at the following link at marineengine.com

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/brp/

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                  1954 Johnson CD-11
                  1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                  1958 Johnson QD-19
                  1958 Johnson FD-12
                  1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                  "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

1949-penn-yan
                  Participant

Excellent, with thanks. I see that, due to the overlap in years for the application of those points, they do have them available on their site. I’ll order a pair now.

Cheers,

John

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.