Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 35 hp Johnson RJE-19 No Top End

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    marksoldcresty
    Participant

I fired up my 1957 35 hp Johnson RJE-19 at the dock on St John’s river. It seemed to idle fine, no backfiring or misses. But two things happened when I pulled away from the dock and motored away, 1. the low and high knobs vibrated into different positions and 2. When I set them back and about 5 minutes later accelerated to full speed I found I had no top end. The motor wouldn’t put the 14ft aluminum boat on plane. It lacked power on the top end. There was no hesitation, over revving or any other weird sounds as accelerated to full speed. I checked the linkage with it in gear and the carb arm is hitting the throttle stop. Fresh gas & 24:1 fuel/oil mix. No excessive smoke coming out of the exhaust or anything like that. Mods wise, it has couple of Nova IIs ignition modules and the oil drain mod. I’m stumped. Any suggestions what could be causing this problem would be great.:)

Mark
      M.I., FL
      54 Crestliner Buccaneer w/’57 35 hp 19-RJE

lindy46
      Participant

US Member

Running on one cylinder? How is compression? Tighten the brass packing nuts to keep the needles from moving.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

The classic cause of such complaints is it is running on one cylinder. At least that is the first thing to check.

wedgie
          Participant

The Nova II modules don’t last long on the omc universal magneto. The Red Atom modules are the way to go. There are a couple members that have made their own (Ken W and joesnuffy.) with good success . Should give credit to debe who reverse engineered one and shared his findings .

joesnuffy
            Participant

My nova II modules are lasting with new omc coils that I am testing currently. I think the older omc coils kill them that’s just my humble opinion. Did you put new plug wires in the motor when you added the nova modules??? Did problem start after you installed them? You may not have a good ground on a module or a good connection to the ignition coil?? I solder all my connections when using nova ii modules and mount them under flywheel.

I also think the nova II modules may last by adding the correct diode when paired with older omc coils.

Your carb also sounds like it needs attention possibly new packing?? An engine that is running to rich on high speed carb adjustment can’t get to wot normally or it may not rev as high as it should.

I ran a 1967 9.5hp Johnson with nova IIs for 2 hours 1 hour at wot with new omc coils today. It ran very well at all speeds. I am building the red atom modules now using Debe’s schematics and running the home made red atoms also. I ran my 1952 3hp 2 cylinder Johnson yesterday for 2 hours 1 hour wot and 1 hour all speeds with great results with home made red atoms. I will show my work soon with pics. A person should be able to build the home made red atoms for about 2 dollars a piece is my hopes.

I have noticed that I have to lean both low speed and high speed carb adjustments once modules are in motor they are running way more efficient.

Just my thoughts,
              Joe

marksoldcresty
              Participant

Arggh. I used my new compression tester and it gave me some bad news. Cyl1 85 psi Cyl 2 70 psi. My old one’s calibration was way off. I’ve got a spare RD-19 powerhead I came across on craigslist I’ll dink with and install the atom modules, Thank you Lindy46, FrankR, and Wedgie for your help.

lindy46
                Participant

US Member

Yeah, compression should be 110+ on that motor. My ’57 Lark ran about 124psi.

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

I suppose we can assume you are using the electric starter to check compression or else have the relief valves disabled, right?

chris-p
                    Participant

With the fact that this happened RIGHT after your needles vibrated loose, you need to start your troubleshooting there.

Start by resetting them from scratch. TOP 1.5 turns out from seated, bottom 3/4 out from seated, then tune on the water. Let us know if you need help with this? Perhaps your high speed needle is turned out many turns from seated right now, running super RICH.

Now, worst case scenario, your needles vibrated loose, and ran the motor lean somehow, detonating it? I don’t think so, as the motor has tabs which prevent excessive movement of the needles should this happen. But I suppose it could.

As Frank stated above, first ensure the compression is accurate. If it is accurate, time to rebuild or look for a new powerhead. Equalish, low readings often indicate a blown head gasket between cylinders. IF that compression is accurate, I would start there.

outbdnut2
                      Participant

US Member

With low compression,don’t assume you need a rebuild until you check the head gasket. Easy to check,and cheap to replace – look especially at the part between the two cylinders.
                        Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.