Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 35 hp Johnson RJE-19 No Top End

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    marksoldcresty
    Participant

Yes Frank, used electric starter with he relief valves enabled. Joesnuffy & Chris_P, The packing was wasted for the low idle needle. The high idle packing was at least intact when I pulled it out from its seat. I’ve got the powerhead off. I also found cracks and jb welded pieces on the bottom of the block were it looks like the former owner(s)? over tighten the block bolts on the starboard side. I knew from the start this was an outboard lacking care, but yowza! I’ll have the spare up and running soon as I get some gaskets and parts. Good thing is, I’m learning a lot before I one day in the future tackle my dad’s 58 Johnson 50 hp unit that’s sat for 21 years. Thank you gentlemen once again for helping this newb working on this 35 hp outboard!

~mark

joesnuffy
      Participant

I guess what I find weird is it was running well at idle? Normally an engine with low compression won’t do that. I can’t help but wonder if the waterpump was blocked or not working? and if so did that blow a head gasket and overheat motor the day you had it out? I don’t know if you pulled the cylinder head to see if it was head gasket was blown and inspect cylinders for scouring and overheating? I would hate to see you do a power head swap then smoke the new power head because the engine isn’t circulating water correctly.

If carb needle valves rattled loose that would make engine run rich not lean so I don’t think that did damage to engine.

Joe

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.