Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 evenrude 3 hp won’t run

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    lufkin-25-gmail-com
    Participant

Hi everyone,
      I purchased a cool little 3 hp evenrude from a guy at work. He threw in a spare 50s buccaneer 5hp and i couldn’t say no. Anyway I took the carb off the 3 horse, took it apart and cleaned it. The float moves nice and so does the needle. The bowl fills up with gas but won’t go to the motor. If i squirt gas in the throat of the carb it will run first pull for a second and then die. I’m concerned that maybe I have a bad crank seal..? Also can’t find a carb kit anywhere that is in stock. Or one that comes with the jets. I have looked at most popular sites listed here for vintage boat motor parts with no luck. Also can’t seem to find one for my 1948 5hp Royal (runs, but leaks gas) any information will be greatly appreciated. I want to see these old girls run. Thank you for any help in advance. This is a great site you all have here, thanks for letting me try it out 🙂
      Jonah

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, it would seem as though you haven’t cleaned the carb thoroughly. The 57 models had adjustable needle valves, not fixed jets. The needles shouldn’t need to be replaced unless physically damaged. Was the inside of the carb dirty/gummy when you pulled it apart? I would look for problems/gum/varnish in the main nozzle well, along with the high speed needle passage in the carb bowl…
        Marineengine.com should have carb kits in stock, and most local Evinrude dealers might have it is stock as well
        PS- where did you have the needle valves set for initial start up?
        The high speed needle/bottom one should be set 3/4 turns out from gently seated
        The low speed needle/top one should be set 1.5 turns out from gently seated

chris-p
        Participant

You wont find a kit that comes with new needles. They will need to be bought separately. On the vintage boat parts sites, make sure you ask about what you need. Very often not everything is listed, just takes too long.

lufkin-25-gmail-com
          Participant

Thank you for the quick reply. When I go to marine engineering and go through the steps to put in my motor information it doesn’t seem to exist. I will call an evenrude dealer tomorrow. Did the 56 have fixed jets? I know my main jet is fixed and clean. Also i only have one accessible jet from the outside of the carb, it’s on the bottom of the bowl parallel with the throat. I assumed it was high speed (fixed) and the mixture knob was for my low speed. The thing that I noticed is under the "head" of the main jet where it seats on the carb is a very thick rubber washer. This rubber washer prevents the bowl from sitting flush against the carb until the 5 screws are put back in and pull it tight. Could the rubber washer be swollen and blocking fuel to the main needle? And to answer your question the surfaces inside the carb seem incredibly clean. The dirty parts were the main jet and the jet on the bottom of the carb and i did clean those well. Was not able to remove the pin holding the float on but sprayed carb cleaner into the seat and the needle does move freely. The bowl will fill with gas just won’t find its way to the throat. Thank you
            Jonah
            Ps. my mixture know is at 1.5 turns out, the jet in the bottom of the carb accessed from externally is turned in all the way.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well there must be some confusion here…The 57 models did not used fixed jets, so if your engine has a fixed high speed jet then someone has messed with the carb, or perhaps the engine is not a 1957 model. Can you post some pictures for us? If not, you can email them to me at
              old email address removed
              I will post them.
              PS- That thick nozzle gasket is supposed to get crushed a bit when the bowl is installed, so this is not your issue unless the old gasket is flaking apart plugging up passages in the carb.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by fleetwin.
              • This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by seakaye12.
              lufkin-25-gmail-com
              Participant

I sent you an email with some pics. If you need a better pic I can bring it inside out of the sun.
                PS the old gasket seems very pliable, almost like new. I was quite surprised.
                PSS I apologize, it is a 56 idk what i was thinking. ❓

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.c … une-UP.htm

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

lufkin-25-gmail-com
                  Participant

That is an excellent article! I bookmarked it yesterday lol
                    Very thorough information and very detailed images. But even using those settings (bottom jet seated, top jet 1.5 turns) it still won’t run without manually putting gas in the throat of the carb. Only thing I can think of is the crank seal is bad and it isn’t pulling a vacuum.? Is that even possible? lol
                    Ps when i first tried to start it i pulled it maybe a dozen times. The petcock was plugged with gritty gooey sandy gunk that reeked of varnish. I rinsed the tank with fresh gas and blew it out good with an air hose. Took petcock apart and thoroughly cleaned then reinstalled. Gas flows well now. Bowl fills quickly. Does not get sucked into the motor from the carb. I’m not a pro on 2 strokes by any means but it appears that gas would flow up from the main jet into the center of the throat of the carb. With that rubber nozzle washer sitting tight against the bowl i feel like it would block the flow of gas to the needle and not allow it to travel up the jet.

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

the gas flows up after being let into the HS central post "side hole" when the HS needle is backed away. that fat gasket is meant to ensure fuel only flows up from the controlled entry in front of the pointy HS needle

have you tried to feel the carb sucking air while you pull the starter cord ? it should

does the choke plate fully close ?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

lufkin-25-gmail-com
                      Participant

Yes the choke plate fully closes. Haven’t checked for suction yet, but i will. Good idea! Also thank you for the explanation on how the carb feeds. This makes much more sense now. I feel silly for not thinking of that myself. Thank you.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.