Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 evenrude 3 hp won’t run

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    lufkin-25-gmail-com
    Participant

So what i know now is that the carb does have some suction. It seems like only a little bit, barely noticeable, but positively do have suction. This may be normal but feels odd to me, normally I work on large 4 stroke bike engines and car engines. Choke plate seals well on the top but the bottom has a small gap.

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

http://boatinfo.no/lib/johnson/manuals/ … on.html#/0

go see page 99 for a nice cross view of the carb.. this manuel will tell and show all you need

johnson and evinrude are basically the same engines and parts

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

lufkin-25-gmail-com
        Participant

I’ll check that out next time I get on a computer. My cell phone isn’t compatible with the flash player required to view that file. Thank you for all the help. I appreciate it very much.
          Jonah

Steve D
          Participant
            quote Lufkin.25@gmail.com:

But even using those settings (bottom jet seated, top jet 1.5 turns) it still won’t run without manually putting gas in the throat of the carb.

Hey Jonah, Just checking…Did you misread what Fleetwin wrote about the settings or just mistype "bottom jet seated"…..bottom jet for starting should be 3/4 turn out from gently seated.

lufkin-25-gmail-com
            Participant

Perhaps I misunderstood, i am 99% sure this motor is a 56. I am led to believe that the 57 had adjustable HS needle. The 56 had a fixed jet. But i will turn it out 3/4 of a turn and see what happens. I’m sure it can’t hurt anything.
              I really want to see this motor run. What a rewarding feeling it was to get the 48 Royal running. I want to feel that again. Smiling from ear to ear 🙂

Mumbles
              Participant

Here’s the ’56 and ’57 three horse carbs for comparison.

Both have two mixture needles and look the same to me.

Attachments:

lufkin-25-gmail-com
                Participant

Well i got it to start and run for about a minute all on its own (i didnt have to feed gas to the carb manually) seemed to run good but it died when I idled it down. Doesn’t seem to want to start back up. Not sure exactly what happened. I got a video too.
                  That’s my carb for sure. They look identical to me as well.
                  The #21 is the low speed with the knob that sticks through the motor cover. The lower jet #37 it the one that I thought was supposed to be fixed however the motor finally started at about 1 full turn out. Guessing I need to pull bowl off and get that jet back out and make sure it is still clean. Can i post a YouTube link in this thread?
                  PS. My girlfriend was looking at the images above. #31 main jet is different. I have the 57 carburetor.

lindy46
                  Participant

US Member

The carb kit you need is OMC 398532 or Sierra 18-7043. Also check the filter in the gas tank. If you unscrew the petcock, it sits above it. Filter may be clogged and not allowing gas into the carb.

lufkin-25-gmail-com
                    Participant

Thanks a lot everyone for all your great advice. 🙂 I’ll get one on order. Sure is great to hear it run. Can’t wait to throw it on a boat. Lol

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, Jonah sent me some pictures:

First, Jonah’s engine is a 1965 model, not a 1957. Next, it appears as though someone has changed the original fixed high speed jet to the adjustable needle kit. I’m "assssuming" the initial setting is the same for this kit vs the original style adjustable needle. Now, I have never seen one of these kits but am again assuming there must be some sort of threaded insert that goes in front of this needle so it has something to seat into…
                        Again, have never seen/worked with one of these kits….

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.