Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5 HP (Update)Impeller Question)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    cesarp35
    Participant

Hey guys, this is the little brother to the 1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp that i just got going, this 7.5hp came with my 1966 Alumacraft boat that i just purchased about 3 months ago, i don’t really know the history on this motor only that it ran a few years back, anyway she seems to run really good my only concern is that after idling for about 10 minutes in the bucket i touch the lower exhaust unit and it feels like it’s on the hot side not warm, does it look like the impeller is pumping enough water through the spout? or maybe the impeller is getting tired and needs replacement? your input is appreciated. Thanks
      https://youtu.be/vXzTtZ4o7gQ

1957evinrude
      Participant

US Member

If it was my engine I would replace it.You don’t want to risk burning up your motor. Its a nice one.

jerry-ahrens
        Participant

US Member

Looks a little feeble on the output to me. I would also replace it, to be safe. Boy, you sure did score a couple nice motors there! Those are nice ones. I have the 35 hp in that line up.. it’s a really clean original like yours. To bad we can’t get them together for a reunion!
          BTW, the fuel oil mix on your 7 1/2 Fleet Twin is 16/1. It needs more oil than your 35.

vintin
          Participant

An old impeller can become brittle and lose parts that end up plugging up the cooling system.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ditto, see my youtube comments also….Don

fisherman6
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Very nice Fleetwin! See my YouTube comments as well. I’m addition to the water pump service you may want to pressure test (or vacuum) the gearcase. While the powerhead is off and the lower unit is removed is perfect time to reseal it if that is required. The shift rod O-ring is notorious for leaking on these motors after all those years. On motors with low hours often the shaft seals are OK but that O-ring will let water in. Unfortunately the gearcase has to be disassembled to replace that O-ring, but while all the other work is being done and it is already apart is the time to replace it.
                -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

cesarp35
                Participant

I’ll be ordering the impeller and lower unit seal kit just to be on the safe side, i’d rather be safe than sorry later. Thanks for the advise and suggestion guys i appreciate it!!!!

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
                    1957evinrude
                    Participant

US Member

I have watched his videos several times. I’m not much of a mechanic but trust me its not a bad job at all to take apart the l/u and pull the powerhead. Just be sure and replace the o ring and seal under the power head and the base gasket

cesarp35
                      Participant
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.