Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Johnson 35HP outboard starter went bye bye!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    huntleybill
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Looks like I am going to need a replacement starter. NOT the recoil starter, but the actual starter motor. Or, can these be rebuilt?
      Are there places that rebuild these started motors? Cuz, I’m sure they don’t make new ones!

Your advice and guidance is always appreciated.
      Thank you
      Bill

george-emmanuel
      Participant

US Member

You haven’t said what failed….Brushes are available. Field windings and an armature may be another story. Take it to a local starter/alternator shop and let them do an assesment. I’m willing to be it may only be brushes.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Actually, a company by the name of ARCO does make new ones. Their number 5376. marineengine.com has ’em. I hasten to add, I’ve never bought or seen one. That means my experience with them is zero—whether good or bad.

huntleybill
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Not sure George what exactly the problem is. The motor turns like the battery is almost dead.
            Also..thank you Frank…I will look into that….and a local starter/alternator repair place

jerry-ahrens
            Participant

US Member

I’ve put on many, many Arco starters. They are excellent. Sometimes you may be better off replacing, vs. rebuilding, especially if the armature is shot. As George said, maybe some new brushes will do the trick.

wiscoboater
              Participant

I had one rebuilt by a local shop in my area. They did a good job and it worked well when done but it cost me $117. They had to re solder parts of the winding’s and what have you. It was for a 56 Javelin so I wanted to keep it original. If I did it again, I would just buy the new one.

chris-p
                Participant

I am not doubting you, but I have had many gents bring me a motor to replace a "bad" starter. In almost all cases the starter was fine.

First load test you battery. If you do not have a load tester, bring it in most shops do that for free.
                  Make sure all connections are shiny and polished. Battery POS and NEG, Connections at solenoid, starter, ground, etc…
                  Make sure all wiring is not internally rotted. Does it crunch when you flex it? Voltage drop testing will isolate faulty sections of wiring.

If you have a known good battery, and jump the starter direct with fresh cable, does it spin then?

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

X2 What Chris said. Also, just a FWIW to add to it, the screw that holds the external harness to the ’58 motor is the ground connection. Has to be tight.

jw-in-dixie
                    Participant

Sometimes it’s worn, cruddy contacts in the solenoid. As above, bypass to test.

I have opened solenoids and reversed the contacts and the "plate" and they work like new.

huntleybill
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Good advice Chris,
                        The battery is a marine starting battery. It is brand new.
                        Fortunately, I have anther 35HP Johnson in the shop that is due for restoration. I took the starter out of that motor and put it on this motor. The motor now spins like crazy. I figured, trying a different starter would either confirm or rule out the wiring, solenoid, switch all in one step! I had an extra starter but I do not have an extra wiring harness. So…it looks like its the starter to me. Do you concur??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.