Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Johnson 5.5hp carb/starting problem *FIXED*

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    david-bartlett
    Participant

Are the spark plugs wet or dry after you try to start it? If they are wet, try closing the needle valves all the way and try to start it as it may be flooding. If it tries to run with fuel shut off, it could indicate a carb issue and flooding. If nothing happens, you are back to square 1 until you get a reliable compression gauge and spark tester. Good luck.

Eric McNett
      Participant

Both dry, and im trying to find a good gauge, im thinking i just dont have a good ground with the spark testor, i had one good flash then nothing so ill have to prod around to find a good spot to ground it, i even tried grounding it to the plug and nothing.

Eric McNett
        Seattle AOMCI Member

Eric McNett
        Participant

ok so turns out the extra gauge that i had worked out great, it just had a ford adapter on it that i didnt realize came off……. numbers were much better this time, makes me wonder what my 54 evinrude is now that i have a good gauge.

Anyway top photo is top cylinder and bottom is bottom cylinder.

Attachments:

Eric McNett
          Seattle AOMCI Member

lloyd
          Participant

US Member

The order of priorities for any old motor are Compression, then Ignition, then Carburation, in that order. 70 PSI is pretty low but it might run if everything else is right. Ground the plugs to the block and you should see a bright blue spark on EVERY rotation and still get spark using a test plug with the gap opened up over 1/8" . Sounds like you need to check out your ignition better before worrying about the carb.

Eric McNett
            Participant

Was next on my list, has new cdi coils but unsure if points/condensers were changed.

Eric McNett
              Seattle AOMCI Member

Eric McNett
              Participant

So i get ok spark at this point and crazy spark almost touching. Condensers? Points?

Attachments:

Eric McNett
                Seattle AOMCI Member

stanley
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Clean the points?

Eric McNett
                  Participant

Cleaned the points and still not any better. Im going to pull the flywheel to give everything a good once over.

Eric McNett
                    Seattle AOMCI Member

Eric McNett
                    Participant

Thought i found the issue this morning but failed again.

Found this after pulling the flywheel. So put some solder on the wire and stuck some heat shrink on it then routed the wire so it wouldnt happen again. Got it all back together after checking point gap and still does the same thing.

Pulled a plug and it looks dry to me, cant tell if the droplets that are on it is water or fuel. Im going to try another tank i have because this one seems to be leaking out the primer shaft

Eric McNett
                      Seattle AOMCI Member

outbdnut2
                      Participant

US Member
                        quote Lloyd Lautner:

Are you sure this motor has high enough compression to run at all?

His compression is likely a bit higher due to the volume of air in the tester hose, as the check valve is at the gauge end.
                        Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.