Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Johnson 5.5hp carb/starting problem *FIXED*

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    outbdnut2
    Participant

US Member

I’d spray some starting fluid in the carb and see if it fires on that, and then it may stay running long enough to tweek the carb adjustments. Use starting fluid that contains lubricant – most brands do.
      Dave

Steve D
      Participant

In addition to your wire issues you could very well have water intrusion. Your picture makes it seem possible. Bad exhaust cover gasket? Are the stack of parts on the driveshaft in good order, especially #1 the gasket?

Attachments:

Eric McNett
        Participant
          quote outbdnut2:

quote Lloyd Lautner:

Are you sure this motor has high enough compression to run at all?

His compression is likely a bit higher due to the volume of air in the tester hose, as the check valve is at the gauge end.
          Dave

This gauge is odd as it hasthe release on the gauge and a shrader valve where it screws into the plug hole.

quote outbdnut2:

I’d spray some starting fluid in the carb and see if it fires on that, and then it may stay running long enough to tweek the carb adjustments. Use starting fluid that contains lubricant – most brands do.
          Dave

Im reluctant to use starting fluid as once its used engines tend not to want to start without it and id like to avoid that if i ever sell it.

Eric McNett
          Seattle AOMCI Member

Eric McNett
          Participant
            quote Steve D:

In addition to your wire issues you could very well have water intrusion. Your picture makes it seem possible. Bad exhaust cover gasket? Are the stack of parts on the driveshaft in good order, especially #1 the gasket?

Im not sure,if pulling the lower to check it is my next to do so be it.

Eric McNett
            Seattle AOMCI Member

Eric McNett
            Participant

Back at it again this morning and i can get it to putter like it wants to run when i have the choke on, turn the choke off and its like nothing is happening. And the carb still has gas pooling up in the throat even after setting the motor down on its lowest trim setting, thinking now i have a carb/fuel issue again.

Eric McNett
              Seattle AOMCI Member

Eric McNett
              Participant

She runs!!!! smoothly i might add and goes in to gear beautifully. i feel like a real numbskull with all the great help here and on the facebook page. after going back and forth between is it a carb issue or ignition issue and fighting with equipment that i figured was cheap and didnt work or i was just using it wrong. But this morning I put the spark tester back on and tested it again,i got bright spark on the top but nothing on the bottom, so i took the flywheel off AGAIN and checked over everything, removed the lower cyl coil and snipped a little off the end of the wire and stuck some dielectric on the coil end put the coil and wire back together. Rechecked the point gap and cleaned the contacts, reassembled and whola a bright blue spark on the bottom cylinder. Just tested in the barrel and runs great.

Eric McNett
                Seattle AOMCI Member

retiredoz
                Participant

US Member

Like the man said ‘it ain’t the fixin’ that’s hard, it’s finding what needs fixin”.

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.