Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Johnson QD19 10HP shift lever shaking

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    bob-d
    Participant

US Member

Just completed a new rebuild on a 58 10HP Johnson. When I ran it in the tank it idled and reved up in neutral, and went into reverse fine. When I shifted it to forward and reved it, the shift lever shook violently, as if it was slipping in and out of gear.It had the prop on during the test, and was pumping water like a champ. Opened the small side linkage cover and both screws on the connection block tight, and the linkage looked as if it was working properly.
      I dropped the gearcase to recheck everything. Shear pin and prop good. Opened up the gearcase checked the gears , all looked good. It has a new clutch dog, but everything else (except for all seals) is original 1958.
      This one has me stumped. I was sure once I open up the gearcase I would have found some glaring obvious problem.
      Any ideas while everything is open, before I reassemble.
      Thanks,
      Bob D

bobw
      Participant

US Member

Although it’s churning water it might not be fully engage in forward gear. You may need to slightly adjust the shift linkage at the shift lever. When in forward gear see if the pin on the bottom of the shift lever is fully engaged in the detent on the vertical shift lever. If not, need to adjust the shift lever – there is a nut on the inside of the lever that allows for adjustment.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Very likely it isn’t as good as you think it is. You say it is a new clutch dog, but how about the forward gear? Lots of people look at those things and think they look fine, but are actually worn out. It takes surprisingly little wear to make them jump.

bob-d
          Participant

US Member

Ok Frank, you convinced me to pick up a new forward gear. Getting ready to use it on vacation, and don’t need grief.
            Bob W, I will also double check the detent position on the shift lever when I reinstall. Good tip.
            I will report back when I get the gear, and put it back together.
            Thanks,
            Bob D

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The shift lever is shaking, but the engine isn’t jumping out of gear? Is the interlock lever and spring working properly? I guess I am wondering what you mean by "shaking"? Is the shift lever actually moving back and forth or just "shaking"? Maybe the shift lever shaft and bushing are sloppy…
              I hate to have you pull the whole thing apart, replace the forward gear, then still have the "shaking" going on….
              What happens if you hold your hand on the shift lever while it is in forward gear and running?

bob-d
              Participant

US Member

Don, it was very strange. Not a normal vibration shaking. I had already replaced the o ring on the shift lever, and it has a nice smooth movement to it. This was a violent pulsating coming up the shift shaft, every few seconds, not constant. I should have taken a video but it’s apart now.
                I thought it was the shift dog disingaging from the forward gear, and when I took it apart I would find a bunch of splintered metal. Everything looked ok though?
                When I get the new gear I will post a picture of the two together. Maybe someone can pickup something that I’m missing as far as wear on the original gear that would cause this. The other thing I thought about is possibly the rubber on the prop hub had let go, causing the violent pulsating. Initial inspection of the hub looked ok. Will take another look at that tomorrow. Is there a definitive way to test a prop hub?
                Bob D

billw
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Did you order a new clutch dog by part number? Sometimes we find NOS stuff at meets that looks right and even fits; but it still may not be right. Over the years, the dogs and gears underwent some subtle changes and they don’t all interchange, even though they all may slide back and forth and fit. Also, do you have the two thrust washers installed between the gears and the spline area? If one is missing, there will be too much slop. And finally, you can’t stress too much what Frank said: It doesn’t take much wear at all to make those things jump. If you’re looking for "splintered metal," you’re not going to see that at all.

Long live American manufacturing!

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

A slipping prop hub will not cause the grief you are experiencing. It would be more like spinning your wheels on ice. Yes, you can test it, but the motor has to be working first.

Buccaneer
                    Participant

US Member

Could the drive shaft be slightly bent?

Prepare to be boarded!

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well we need to figure out where the "splintered metal" came from….
                        Please post pictures before reassembly….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.