Home Forum Ask A Member 1960 5.5hp Johnson Base Gasket Part#? CD-17

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    joesnuffy
    Participant

I changed the impeller in my CD-17 as luck would have it the base gasket ripped when I removed powerhead. I am glad I changed it the old one was a bit worn since you have to take off power head to change it.

Does anyone know the part # for the power head base gasket for a CD-17? Also does anyone know the part # for the carbon wear ring that rides on the lower part of crankshaft? I think its carbon? Mine is worn but I could use it if a new one isn’t available.

Thanks in advance,
      Joe

Mumbles
      Participant

313065 is the P/N for the correct base gasket while 303391 is the carbon bearing, or seal.

Attachments:

joesnuffy
        Participant

Mumbles,

Thanks for the info. Everything in the picture looks like what I have the top part 303355 is the part I am looking for it looks to be graphite or carbon not sure. I looked up 303355 and it looks to be made out of cork mine looks to be made out of a harder substance. I can get a pic and post it.

Joe

frankr
          Participant

US Member

303355 is a soft gasket. The carbon seal is 303391.
            Amazing how stuff gets around. I put that picture together several years ago.

joesnuffy
            Participant

Thanks Frank,
              I have the carbon seal 303391 and its o.k. Possibly someone put or made something else for 303355.

Joe

joesnuffy
              Participant

When I look up part 303365 it shows a prop nut? need a power head base gasket part number for a 1960 CD 17 not sure if that use to be the part#

Joe

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

313065 is the base gasket number…

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

https://www.vintageoutboard.com/collect … hp-1959-64

vintage outboard.com has them

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

Joe, make sure everything in that seal assembly is exactly as pictured and all in 100% condition. Failure of the seal can result in catastrophic failure of the powerhead due to water intrusion into the crankcase. Maybe not today, maybe not next month, but eventually.

Mumbles
                      Participant
                        quote joesnuffy:

When I look up part 303365 it shows a prop nut?

Dang, I blew that one! 313065, not 303365. Sorry about that. 😳

Reminds me of when my OMC partsman told me how he ordered some parts once and one number he submitted had one digit wrong. Instead of a small part, an expensive gearset arrived instead. Guess he had some explaining to do to the boss.

FR: I liked your diagram so much you posted years ago that I had to keep it. I just hope there’s no copyright on it!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.