Home Forum Ask A Member 1975 Chrysler 10hp 2 stroke refurbish questions

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    adiastra
    Participant

Im pretty sure some of this motor has been repainted in the past. The gaskets for the fuel pump were painted over but wer new style gaskets meaning that the paint happened after they were replaced. The slight difference in color comes off more in the images than in real life. The color is consistent over the entire surface. No scorch marks or peeling paint. my assumption is that the motor was overhauled or the power head was replaced.

Attachments:

adiastra
      Participant

I will however order the parts, how difficult is a head gasket/exhaust gasket change on these?

adiastra
        Participant

Also just a note, I live in Colorado and doubt this motor has ever seen salt.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

I’ve never done one of that model. Looks like the powerhead might have to be removed to access all the bolts (??) You’ll have to evaluate it from there.

adiastra
            Participant

I bet Ben would know. 🙂

amuller
              Participant

Also worth bearing in mind is that you really can’t run a motor under load in a barrel. Even in gear with a prop on, the water will get aerated and the pump and prop will be working in foam, not solid water. This is a bad scenario.

Unless, of course, you have a big circular tank, but in that case you aren’t likely an amateur.

I think those small Chrysler/West Bend motors are pretty decent if maintained.

dougs-outboards
                Participant

You said you had E-10 fuel in your area? I would not run any Eth fuel, only regular non-eth. Very bad for your motor. Just my opinion.

adiastra
                  Participant
                    quote Dougs Outboards:

You said you had E-10 fuel in your area? I would not run any Eth fuel, only regular non-eth. Very bad for your motor. Just my opinion.

Well its not just an opinion, it is a debated subject. I did a lot of research and there are a few reasons to not run E10 in older motors, a few reasons to not run it in a marine motor and a few reasons why it does not matter.

Firstly, older motors use parts that can be sensitive to ethanol including:

• metal parts that can be corroded
                    • rubber parts that can become brittle and crack
                    • plastic parts that were not designed to be in the presence of ethanol

Marine motors in general are, by nature, around water. ethanol absorbs water and can cause problems with separation in an outboard tank.

This pretty much covers the main reasons why not to run E10.

I have inspected the rubber parts and feel confident that everything on this machine has been replaced after 1990 which would mean that the parts (specifically gaskets and other rubber parts) are ethanol safe. I also use a tote tank that can easily be emptied completely so there is no issue with a watery gas tank. I will be using a fuel stabilizer which is designed to protect metal parts (specifically the old carb) from ethanol. I do not think it will be much of an issue but if I have the opportunity to get ethanol free gas, I certainly will prefer that over E10. I believe there are a few stations in town that sell it based on info found here https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html and I will seek it out more actively for the next fill up. I do not think that the 3 gallons i purchased for testing will hurt anything.

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.