Home Forum Ask A Member 1985 johnson 9.9 running temp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    davesko
    Participant

Greetings, I have a 85 johnson 9.9 that im not sure its running cool enough. I replaced impeller and have strong tell tale stream but i am getting temps from 145-195 off the block and head. This of course is running in a barrel with 90 deg water. Had it running almost an hour when i took these temps. Is it running to hot? Thanks guys, Dave

PugetSoundBoater
      Participant

The tell tale only shows that the water pump is functioning. It gives no indication that the water is circulating in the powerhead water passages,as the tell tale gets its water as it just enters the powerhead,not after it circulates through the block.
        Have you checked the thermostat for proper operation? If it is a salt water motor it could have corrosion blockage around the cylinders and head water passages and around the t start. If it is a salt water motor,i would remove the cylinder head and clean the water jacket passages.
        When i test a motor in a barrel,i leave the water hose turned on and submerged in the barrel keeping a fresh supply of cold water in the barrel,as the 9.9’s underwater exhaust warms the water. The 90 degree water makes it more difficult to cool the motor.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
        Robbie Robertson

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

9.9/15s, especially salt water ones, have a chronic problem of a water tube restriction at the base of the power head. The design of the tube’s rubber grommet allows it to be able to close in as corrosion builds, cutting off water flow. The tell tale doesn’t really tell this tale, if you will. You have to pull the power head, remove the exhaust tuner that holds the water tube and clean out the corrosion. It is such a wide spread problem that I would not trust a single one of them to cool properly, unless I knew that service was recently done. Usually, the thermostat will be stuck OPEN, from having run hot so long. Not to be argumentative but I would like to say that I personally have never seen significant corrosion build up in the water jackets; although there is always a first time.

Long live American manufacturing!

Anonymous

What is the running temp on a boat, only on a boat will you get the true op. temp ? The limited amount of water in a barrel after running for an hour at a 90 degree air temp will give you an inflated inaccurate temp.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Like Bill says, the grommet problem is chronic on these engines. Is this a salt water engine? I surely don’t want you to rip the thing to pieces without exhausting all the simpler solutions first though. Was this engine running hot before the impeller change? You just changed the impeller, perhaps the liner/hsg/SS base are NG. Another chronic problem on salt water engines is the thin wall under the SS impeller plate. The thin aluminum erodes away under the SS impeller plate, allowing exhaust to be pulled into the water pump.
              The overboard indicator stream is after the upper water tube grommet, so it would be affected by a crushed grommet. I have noticed a specific symptom on these telltales when the grommet is crushed though. When first started, the overboard streams seems "OK". Once the engine heats up, the stream weakens, then you will see a big puff of steam coming out of the telltale instead of water.
              Tell us more about the engine, don’t want you to rip this thing to pieces for nothing.

davesko
              Participant

Thanks guys, I just bought this motor and didn’t run it before impeller replacement, which by the way was the full kit, housing,impeller seals and plate. Not sure it was a salt water motor or not. I know it sat for at least 20 years. I became concerned when I felt the head temp so I took some readings 145-190 depending on where on the motor it was. I’m used to my old motors running cool so this one concerned me. Never had it on a boat yet and won’t till I figure out if 190 is too hot. I do know when it’s running in gear and throttled up it runs like 165 degrees. I’m not going to rip this thing all apart till I do more research. Anyone else have a 9.9 and know what temp it runs at? Should I run it on the boat for a short while and see if maybe it runs cooler? Thanks Dave

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, 190 is too hot, but I like that it cools down a bit when throttled up. This engine has a pressure controlled spring on the thermostat that allows it to be pushed off its seat with higher water pressure, which more or less bypasses the thermostat. You mention that your barrel water temp is 90 degrees which is pretty warm, so this might be the only issue. These engines like to get pretty warm when running slowly, which is a good thing, they run much hotter than older engines with no thermostat. Your temperature comes down a bit when throttle up which is a good indicator as well.
                  I would definitely take it for a run on a boat to re-evaluate. Post some pictures of the engine also so we can guess if it has been used in salt water. The engine sat for 20yrs, so hopefully the grommet is not an issue. You installed the complete kit, was it an OEM kit or aftermarket? Do you recall how the gearcase hsg looked under the SS impeller plate?

davesko
                  Participant

Thanks Fleetwin, The kit I used was Oem. I spoke to the po wife and she said it might have been briefly used in salt water. I’m going fo run it on the boat this weekend. Btw under the impeller plate looked good. Thank you Dave

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Dave
                      Sounds like the engine was used only briefly in salt water, and has low hours, so the grommet is probably not an issue. I am thinking the warm water temp in your barrel is probably the only issue here. Where are you checking engine temp? The exhaust manifold is water cooled and should run relatively cool at all times. Engine temp is usually checked right on top of the cylinder head, perhaps your pyrometer isn’t accurate. Again, I’m thinking things are OK, especially if engine temp comes down a bit when RPMs go up. Is there any evidence of overheating issues, such as melted wiring or discolored powerhead paint (if your powerhead is white)?
                      The other issue I mentioned is with the gearcase housing, not the SS impeller plate. And again, sounds like this is a low hour/fresh water engine, so I doubt the aluminum housing has eroded away causing an air leak under the water pump.

davesko
                      Participant

Fleetwin, I checked the temp on top of the head and on the cylinder. The housing under the plate looks like new. No signs of previous overheat, no burnt paint or wires. I am checking the temp with an infrared thermometer. I might be overreacting to the temp isssue but this motor is a jem. I was lucky enough to get over 50 motors from my friends widow and want to make they are all 100% correct. Will be testing in the morning on the water,let you know how it goes. Thank you for all your information. This group has been a wealth of knowledge for me getting these going. Thanks again, Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.