Home Forum Ask A Member 1986 115 H.P Merc warning buzzer

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    eltoquad
    Participant

US Member

Not an antique but maybe some one can help me. Above named Merc just started giving me a problem. It is a very low time engine and in excellent condition. About half way thru last ride warning buzzer went off and would not stop. Oil level was 3/4 full. Water pump was putting out it’s normal pressure. After getting back to shore I dis connected oil float level wire and water temperature warning wire. This did nothing and buzzer continued on. I keep close eye on oil amount and my water pressure so thought I’d dis connect wire to buzzer but do not know how to take control apart to get to that wire. Any suggestions on what could be causing buzzer to go off or how to dis connect buzzer.
      Thanks, Tom

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OMG are you using Autoblend, the remote-mounted injection system??? One of those still WORKS?

I am basing this assumption on the fact that in 1986, they had an inline 6, 115, which never had engine-mounted oil injection. Serial numbers are the way to go with Mercury, not model year. If you do have an Autoblend, throw it in the trash, donate it a museum or something and run 50:1 mix. If you have an engine-mounted oil tank, there is a model year issue.

Long live American manufacturing!

eltoquad
        Participant

US Member

My engine is a 4 cylinder and oil injection has always worked fine. It does have the two carbs that cut out when under 2000 rpm but that also works fine. I just need to know the procedure of how to open throttle control box so I can dis connect the buzzer.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Don’t have any experience with the merc buzzers, only the OMC warning systems.. Is this set up supposed to have a warning horn with the self test feature, like the OMCs? In any event, sounds like you have disconnected the inputs to the horn but the horn is still stuck on…But again, not familiar with the Merc systems, so hopefully a merc guy will chime in to be sure you have disconnected all the possible sensor/horn inputs. If so, there is either a short to ground in the horn lead somewhere, or the horn itself is defective…
            In either case, I would not just disconnect the horn and forget about it. Go through the time and trouble to find the actual issue and repair it. The horn warnings can be a valuable aid if a cooling or oiling system issue does occur….
            I’m assuming that your rig uses a conventional side mount control box. It shouldn’t be too tough to split the box open to gain access to the warning horn. Once the box is split open, remove the ground lead from the warning horn. Turn the key on again or start the engine with the ground lead disconnected. If the horn still activates, the horn itself is probably the issue. Look for shorts to ground in the horn sensor lead from the control box back to the engine harness, if removing the horn ground lead silences the horn….Admittedly, I am assuming your warning horn has only two leads connected to it….
            Hopefully a merc guy will chime in with a wiring harness for your model engine showing all sensors….

DAN UMBARGER
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

My engine is a 4 cylinder and oil injection has always worked fine. It does have the two carbs that cut out when under 2000 rpm but that also works fine. I just need to know the procedure of how to open throttle control box so I can dis connect the buzzer.

I believe what you have is a bad oil warning module, it differentiates between the oil (beeping) and the overheat(solid buzzer). It is located on the stbd side just below the lip on the lower pan…might have to remove the stbd side cover. Not a good idea to unplug the buzzer cause then you have 0 warning of problems. You also might have the warning buzzer wire grounded somewhere between the engine and the control box. Do you have a sidemount merc control box? The newer style has 2 screws on the backside of the box that holds the 2 halves together….be careful pulling it apart, it can become a can of worms if your not experienced with them.

DAN UMBARGER
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

BTW…I believe your motor is at least a 1989…that’s when they came out with the 4 cyl 115…I also have one I rebuilt quite a few years ago on my pontoon…good- strong runner.

billw
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I agree that if you have a 4 cylinder, and you have disconnected the wires on the tank, then you probably have a bad module. It definitely would not be the first one. We replaced quite a few back in the day, as Frank would say. Also agreed that you want the system to continue to work, and not just disconnect the buzzer.

Long live American manufacturing!

eltoquad
                  Participant

US Member

Well, I guess the problem would have been much easier to analyze if I would have given the correct info on the motor!! It’s a 1996 not ’86. I’ll look for the module mentioned earlier. Thanks for the help!!

DAN UMBARGER
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Part # 14857A16

junkmotors
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

i have a1989 mercury 115 .the wires run behind the six coils making the alarm go off. th e mercury dealer said it was because of all the voltage of six colis

junkmotors@cox.net

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.