Home Forum Ask A Member 1990 25 hp Johnson J25RESB neutral safety switch is acting up

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    outboardnut
    Participant

US Member

At times when I go to start the engine it will not start.
      I found when I push on the curved plunger which is located on the underside of the neutral safety switch the engine will start.
      I found a way to slightly adjust the neutral safety switch.
      The neutral safety switch is mounted by two brass screws on the left and right of the switch.
      The right side hole is slightly slotted so I can pivot the neutral safety switch a bit down so number 77 will hit the curve plunger sooner.
      Just so you know the neutral safety switch is not shown in any of the parts list. So I do not have a part number for the neutral safety switch. If you know the part number please enlighten me.
      This is my fishing motor so I really need this engine to perform. I donโ€™t want a band aid of a fix.
      Iโ€™m thinking a few things.
      1. Although the neutral safety switch works-Maybe the spring or contact is worn?
      2.or that number 77 is worn(Cylinder & Crankcase diagram)
      3.or that number 41 is worn(midsection diagram)
      Iโ€™m thinking I need a new neutral safety switch .I just find it hard to believe that OMC would use that bad of hard plastic for cams on 77 and 41.
      Any input will be appreciated.
      https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1990&hp=25&model=J25RESB

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

my lawn tractor acted up with similar symptoms (no neutral start due to wear ) which ended up being the contact surface area of the switch …

I solved it by beefing up the surface area pushing down on the switch itself

so and if you do not want to invest in a new part… can you beef up the surface area activating the switch itself if… that is not the bad part

Joining AOMCI has priviledges ๐Ÿ™‚

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns … +Crankcase
          #91 is the neutral safety switch…
          For now, you could always just ground the neutral safety switch lead, which bypasses the safety switch….

jerry-ahrens
          Participant

US Member

I have an older 35 Evinrude with that same switch. Mine started doing the same thing, I had a parts motor with a good one to swap over.

outboardnut
            Participant

US Member

Fleetwin I know I can bypass it but as they always said at work- safety first

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

well time for a contribution for your hobby ๐Ÿ˜€

Joining AOMCI has priviledges ๐Ÿ™‚

donsmarine
                Participant

Boats.net $30.00 #0386056

billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                    quote outboardfix:

Boats.net $30.00 #0386056

Agreed. Part number is in the diagram for electric starting accessory kit, if you’re looking for it..

Long live American manufacturing!

outboardnut
                    Participant

US Member

The motor is electric starting

dan-in-tn
                      Participant

US Member

Al; I know you gave me your model number as well as put it here, but your motor should be a J/E25TEESB. That stands for 25hp Tiller, Electric start, ES 1990 model, B is the suffix. (Could be for lots of reasons). The model you give should be a rope start (R) & the rest is the same. Not sure why your model is electric start at the motor? If you look at a J25TEESB on the cylinder/crankcase page #91 is the switch #386056. One on eBay for $22 OBO, Free Shipping. That’s pretty good, but I may have one.
                        Funny that two past service reps for OMC have now mentioned you can unhook it? That is not my first choice, but it will help you determine if that is the only problem. Like we talked about the switch is mounted on the ragged edge of engagement. Any little shim would make the switch/plunger engage more & therefore make the switch less touchy. It’s a common problem with this system. Plastic parts wear. A new switch may not alleviate all your problems. FYI

Dan in TN

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.