Home Forum Ask A Member 2 line pressure tank

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    snaggerbob
    Participant

Good morning to all and thanks for providing a great site. I have a Cruise a Day Jr. 2 line pressure tank that I picked up at a flea market that will not keep pressure. I took it apart to investigate. I replaced the diaphram and cork gasket. When I looked at a diagram of the tank I noticed there seemed to be a part missing. It is called a disc valve and it seems to cover the smaller hole in the rubber diaphram. I found the part and it will be here in a couple days. I’m not sure how it will fit or even what it’s functon is. The tank is in really nice condition so I hope this fixes the problem. Any input on this subject would be appreciated.

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

It works in conjunction with the ball valve in the fuel tank foot to ensure the fuel flows toward the outboard when the primer is pushed. . . 😀

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

Later models with the plastic button used a different diaphram. . . 😉

snaggerbob
          Participant

The parts list shows 2 disc valves. I only have one coming. Do they just sit on the diaphram? Thanks for help again Garry.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

The spring loaded metal washer backed rubber pressure relief valve is necessary for the tank to pressurize. The smaller disk valve keeps the fuel from just sloshing back and forth in the line when the primer is pushed. Of course the ball valve in the foot keeps fuel from draining out of the foot tube and back into the tank. They should be centered so they, including the ball in the foot, are free to move after the tank top is assembled. . . 🙂

frankr
              Participant

US Member

There is only one disc valve that you can see. The other one is inside the pick-up tube, just above the screen.

The one that you can see sits in a recess in the housing at the area of the fuel-out nipple. It just lies loose in there, seeming doing nothing, but it indeed does keep the fuel moving in one direction.

Dave Hostetter
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Anybody have a diagram for a Mercury pressure tank from 1953? I have one to recondition. Thanks.

Dave H

jerry-ahrens
                  Participant

US Member

After you get the tank back together, you can pressure test it by using an air blow gun inserted into the ”air” line of the dual hose. Only give it a shot or two of air, (a couple pounds) then use some soapy water or Windex to check the tank top assembly for leaks.
                    There should be none. Don’t forget the fuel connector O-rings. They are also replaceable if need be.

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

snaggerbob
                      Participant

Now I’m looking at the first diagram again and noticed the diaphram has 3 circle holes and a square for the sight glass. The diaphram I removed only had 2 circle cutouts on the diaphram. The new one,which I made from a pattern of the old one, has 2 circle cutouts. Do I have the wrong diaphram? The second diagram has a picture of the diaphram I have. Do I need to cut out another hole? I need to figure out how to post some pictures.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.