Home Forum Ask A Member 59 Evinrude 5.5hp shock absorber removal

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

There was a lot of competition to get rid of the shear pin back in those days. The OMC shock absorber was one method. Other attempts were cone friction clutches (Scott-Atwater) and multiple disk clutches (Mercury) for instance. To their credit, the OMC shock absorber probably was one of the best, at least as for how well they worked. Others slipped or didn’t release at all. Mercury was way ahead of their time with splined prop shaft and rubber hubbed prop.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by frankr.
      crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

so in the mean time may as well use a shear pin anyway to save the shock absorber no ? 3!6 or 1/8 piece of brass rod cut to size (1″??) should do ??

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles
        Participant

If you pull the shock absorber out, there’s a good chance you’ll have to split the gearcase to get the pinion gear and it’s key back on correctly. Sometimes it has to be split anyway to drive the shock absorber out of the pinion.

benj
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This is all great info, I really appreciate it! I may end up buying a spare lower unit just to see for myself how it all works and disassembles.

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.