Home Forum Ask A Member ’71 Evinrude 40HP long shaft to short conversion

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    nj-boatbuilder57
    Participant

Hey folks,

Very first post on this forum!

I have a line on a very good deal for a ’71 Evinrude 40HP long shaft….model # 40153G. Thing is: my boat needs a short shaft.

Is conversion as simple as a.) dropping the lower, b.) removing the extension piece, c.) replacing the shift rod & shaft with the shorter versions, and d.) reassembling? Is that all there is to it, or am I missing something?

The deal on the engine is very good, leaving me with enough cash to find / buy a short rod & shaft…..if that’s all there is to it.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Mark in NJ

retiredoz
      Participant

US Member

Prolly need to do something about the water tube, but otherwise that should do it…

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You can cut 5" off the water tube, but changing the shift rod isn’t an easy chore. I’m thinking you would have to disassemble that gearcase to change the lower shift rod, which is a pain. I suppose there is the slim chance that this was a short shaft to begin with and someone added the shift rod and water tube "extensions", but I wouldn’t count on that. I suppose you could avoid disassembly by carefully cutting the shift rod and beveling out the shift rod for the connector screw.

Anonymous

Wouldn’t model number indicate if it was originally a long shaft?
            Kirk

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years
              quote kirkp:

Wouldn’t model number indicate if it was originally a long shaft?
              Kirk

You are right, the model number should describe the original shaft length, I just don’t have access to the manual that would spell it out….

retiredoz
              Participant

US Member

Pretty sure the ‘3’ in the model # indicates LS…

retiredoz
                Participant

US Member
                  nj-boatbuilder57
                  Participant
                    quote retiredoz:

Pretty sure the ‘3’ in the model # indicates LS…

Correct.

It’s a LS…no doubt. I was just curious if the conversion is as simple as I believe it to be, and it sounds like the answer is "yes".

Thanks!

phil-b
                    Participant

Replacing the shift rod means opening up the gearcase and re-sealing it, which means getting (and dealing with) suitable gooey sealer, cutting new spaghetti seal to the right length and square endedness, and wondering if it might make sense to replace the shift shaft o-ring, which (at least on the smaller gearcases I’ve worked on) is a frequent cause of water intrusion…. None of it is rocket science, but it took me two tries to get the 10hp and 18hp gearcases I’ve put back together buttoned up to where I’m only slightly worried about water getting back in!

OMC Gurus: The late 40hp’s like the one in question use the single wall (non-super silent) leg; Is it safe to use the gearcase from a short shaft 1950’s (non-super silent) 35hp or a 1960’s 33hp? 1960’s 28hp??

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

The 25, 28, 30 horse gear case has a smaller pinion bearing and would not last very long when fed 40 horses. 33, 35 & 40 horse gear cases are the same. . . 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.