Home Forum Ask A Member ’73 18hp OMC will not idle

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

Long opening statement, thank you to those who are willing to read through all this and give feedback…..

I’ve had my share of dealings with this generation of motors, but am particularly frustrated with this one so figured I’d throw out the problem to the panel for feedback.

This motor will not idle without sneezing and stopping abruptly. The carb is not responding the way it should and from all accounts this motor is running lean. At 3 turns out, it runs a little better at a high idle, but at the factory recommended 1 turn it will not stay running. 2 turns it will sneeze repeatedly. Anything above 1/4 idle it works just fine with a normal power curve and no missing.

I can get it to hold a high idle in gear but it slowly starts to get leaner and leaner, eventually sneezing, then an abrupt stop.

I’ve replaced the low speed needle bearing and little cup (basically the two plastic pieces to keep air from getting in that way), pulled the low-speed circuit welch plug to inspect (OK), and the carb is completely clean.

I’ve tried changing the cam follower pickup timing to favor more fuel at low timing, and more fuel at a little faster timing, really hasn’t made any difference.

I’ve installed a new carb to manifold gasket.

Leaf plates are all seated properly with no appearance of distortion.

Compression is pretty good on this powerhead (120-130 range).

No evidence of air leaks on the powerhead. I even went so far as to plug the manifold oil recirculator hose (tied it off) and switch out the intake bypass nipple cover with an older style which does not have one. Why? Initially, the motor was sneezing so much that the back fire was repeatedly melting that recirculating hose and then of course would create an air leak or flat out fuel spraying out that crack in the hose.

IN OTHER NEWER 25HP MOTORS (post 1976), I’ve found switching the carb solves the problem, as some sort of fouling of the low-speed circuit was present. In this case, I don’t have another one to swap from a known working motor for comparisons.

Seems the only motors I run into with this issue is 1973-76 models with the low-tension magneto. Any recommendations? I’ve already cancelled the order with the customer because I’ve had enough of this engine, but would like to use it as a learning opportunity.

ryanjames170
      Participant

Have you Checked the exhaust ports for excessive carbon build up?

johnyrude200
        Participant

How would that cause the motor to run lean? If anything, it would run rich or not at all because it can’t breath. The motor runs totally fine at anything above 1/4 idle.

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member

Does it idle OK with the choke part way on? If so, back to the carb. Do your best to spray carb cleaner through all the low speed gas passages – ideally in the reverse direction. Recently on an early 9.9 Johnson, I had to bend the end of the carb cleaner tube at about a 45 degree angle or more, put it into the needle valve housing, and move it around until I hit the sweet spot where it was back flushing into the carb bowl. Of course, the small plastic "bearing" as t is called has to be removed while doing this. It cured the lean idle problem when nothing else did. I was ready to give up! I had a long message string here about that one until I solved it. I also had another 9.9 that would not idle right until I switched to NGK spark plugs. Why this made a difference is a mystery but others have had this happen too – not sure if that will help an 18.
            Dave

johnyrude200
            Participant

It will run OK with the choke 1/3rd closed (so not a huge air restriction). This is at 3 turns out though…haven’t tried to mess with it at the recommended 1 turn out. IMHO that factory recommendation is not always true anyways for these motors.

The 18 and 9.9/15 carbs are totally different. The 18 carbs are much simpler and generally forgiving so unless I’m missing something obvious here (which could be the case), the low-speed jet is very simple; a pickup from the outside of the carb (which is a big hole easy to flush), the low speed needle, and 3 tiny bleed holes which feed fuel at low speed. I pulled the welch plug to double check they weren’t clogged, and already replaced the 2 low speed plastic bearings/seals.

Again – I could be missing something here but it is clearly running lean.

ryanjames170
              Participant
                quote johnyrude200:

How would that cause the motor to run lean? If anything, it would run rich or not at all because it can’t breath. The motor runs totally fine at anything above 1/4 idle.

im going to PM you about this as its kinda going to be a ramble.

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

When you had the welsh plug out, could you see daylight through the low speed needle valve hole? – 😀

johnyrude200
                  Participant

yes, also looked carefully at the 4 low speed pin holes below the welch plug and no clogs.

T2Stroke, Fleetwin, FrankR….opinions?

My hunch is a tired carburetor that cannot be rehabbed by conventional methods. I mean, a casting that is 44 years old gives up eventually….

I would say the high speed circuit could be wrong, but if some jack@$$ ran a drill bit through the high speed orifice, the motor would run too rich not lean with too much fuel.

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

How about looking from the front of the carburetor where the needle valve seats ? I had one that didn’t idle that had the broken off tip of the needle valve blocking the hole. . . 😮

johnyrude200
                      Participant

When I pulled the welch plug I put the needle in to see how much the jet opens up as you back it out. This motor is GUZZLING fuel to stay running at idle at even just 2 turns out….and I have it at 3-4 turns out to make it run slightly better.

Something very obvious wrong here that my eyes aren’t seeing.

Idle jet is wide open. Must be an air leak somewhere.

This HAS TO be something others have seen. I’ve probably worked on about 100 of these motors in the last 4 years and I know I’m a neophyte compared to some of the retired mechanics who worked on these when they were current.

HELP PLEASE 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.