Home Forum Ask A Member ’73 18hp OMC will not idle

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    lindy46
    Participant

US Member

Could be an unseen crack in the carb casting. I had a 5.5hp Johnson did the same thing and NOTHING I did would make it idle properly. I think my slow speed needle was out 1 to as much as 4-5 turns and coudn’t get any consistency. Finally replaced the carb and she purred like a kitten.

melugin
      Participant

US Member

Are you using a hose connector with a worn o-ring? This would cause a lean low rpm condition. Air leak here, rather than carb.

johnyrude200
        Participant

No tank and line are fine. Its my test tank and line.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well your first hunch is the best idea, try to find another carb to try….You must have something similar laying around the shop…Even an old carb with two needles…I know the linkages won’t be right, but who cares just to try it at idle….
            What is the history on this engine? What did customer report when he brought it in? Was it running OK, then stopped idling? Or, hasn’t it been used in awhile….
            You mentioned something about altering the cam/throttle pick up….Not quite sure I understood which direction you altered it….First, make sure throttle plate is completely closed at idle…This is a very confusing topic, did you adjust the cam to start opening the throttle sooner than normal? If so, you actually made the engine run leaner off idle…I know, I know, doesn’t seem to make sense, but is true. So, in order to make the mixture richer off idle, you would actually delay/retard the throttle cam/roller pick up from its normal setting. You mentioned the possibility of the carb casting being "worn out", well this is the area that would wear out…A worn throttle shaft allowing air to sneak by, perhaps a bent/binding throttle plate that is not closing properly….The only way to evaluate this condition is to remove the carb and look in through the back to see if the plate is closing completely…Wobble the throttle shaft to check for excess wear.

johnyrude200
            Participant

No history on the motor. Ill give those suggestions a try. I cheated the cam follower pickup both early and late after the two timing marks on the cam and didnt see an improvement.

I pulled the plugs this AM and fou d one was burning OK the other looked clean. So as usual we have 1 cylinder a little richer than the other.

Ill report back when I get back to the motor!

Michael
              Participant

International Member

Possible worn throttle shaft in carb, which is allowing air to leak in?

Michael
                Participant

International Member

throttle butterfly in carb not closing properly?

chris-p
                  Participant

I personally would start with a replacement carb. Im sure someone near you can lend you one. If you get stuck, I have about 1000 OMC carbs here, im sure I have one I could mail you!

Are you certain there is not a water intrusion into the cylinder via exhaust gasket washing plug and causing your issue? It would appear to be lean (not enough fuel to properly burn). Any water droplets on clean plug? Have you tried replacing the plugs?

Have you inspected the crank seals? If mag plate is off, just pull the top off and replace.

Hopefully you don’t have to reseal the block.

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.