Home Forum Ask A Member Amphenol pin tool

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    rjoynt
    Participant

US Member

Picked up a 1994 9.9hp Johnson for cheap due to no spark. I thought that I would try a ‘modern’ motor for a change. Looking to put a new power pack on it (after checking the kill switch wiring).
      My question is, what is this tool, and how does it work? Obviously I know it helps take out the wire, but how does it do it? And, where do you purchase it? The local Ace hardware had no idea. Any special size needed?

Thanks in advance.
      Bob

Doug Wilson
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

might check allied electronics or newark maybee mcmaster carr other option could be see if you know anyone who works with factory automation in your area . Most automation guys either have them or know someone who they can borrow one from.
        Doug

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
        turned off?

chris-p
        Participant

I believe this is what you want? Pretty expensive for a one time use though. Maybe you can borrow one. Find one used locally?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Pin-Tool-Se … 57&vxp=mtr

Michael
          Participant

International Member

Get the tools from your OMC/BRP dealer. There are 3 tools, one for the male ends, one for the female ends and one tool to reinsert

chris-p
            Participant

Here is a video. not outboard related, but you get the idea of how they work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x726blInR8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEi7wWG29hE

legendre
              Participant

You can work around having the proper tool, if you can find a section of thin-walled metal (brass is OK) tubing that will slide into the connector, around the outside of the pin. Cut a short length, about 1" long or so, and push it into place. Then you can use a solid wire rod or pin punch to push the pin(s) out of the connector.

The section of tubing is the key.. it compresses the little spring ‘fingers’ on the pin, so you can then push the pin backwards out of the connector. If you only have a few connectors to deal with, this is a lot better than buying the $$ tools.

debe
                Participant

I just use the appropriate diameter thin brass tubing from small radio colapsable aerial.

marty-a
                  Participant

Good hobby shops will have all size of brass tubing, you will want the thin wall.

legendre
                    Participant
                      quote debe:

I just use the appropriate diameter thin brass tubing from small radio colapsable aerial.

And there you have it, the artful bodger strikes again.. 😉

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                        quote legendre:

You can work around having the proper tool, if you can find a section of thin-walled metal (brass is OK) tubing that will slide into the connector, around the outside of the pin. Cut a short length, about 1″ long or so, and push it into place. Then you can use a solid wire rod or pin punch to push the pin(s) out of the connector.

The section of tubing is the key.. it compresses the little spring ‘fingers’ on the pin, so you can then push the pin backwards out of the connector. If you only have a few connectors to deal with, this is a lot better than buying the $$ tools.

There are no "spring fingers" on the amphenol pins/sockets, they are just a friction fit into the rubber connectors. You can rig up stuff to avoid the expense of the tools, just be careful not to poke your fingers trying to push the pins/sockets out/in the tight rubber connectors. Soaking the rubber connectors in rubbing alcohol prior to pin/socket removal/installation helps lube the process. Do not use anything like WD40, or anything that won’t evaporate, or conduct electricity. Please do not "lube" the rubber connectors with grease prior to reconnecting them as well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.