Home Forum Ask A Member Amphenol pin tool

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    legendre
    Participant
      quote fleetwin:

There are no “spring fingers” on the amphenol pins/sockets, they are just a friction fit into the rubber connectors.

Amphenol made a number of connector styles, and there may also be some confusion / conflation with the Amp and Molex connector products.

Common sense applies – irrespective of the manufacturer, the common style of connector with locking fingers / tabs on the contacts will generally use a service tool with a thin-walled tube that compresses the fingers which then allows the contact to be pushed back, out of the connector body.

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I am not confused at all when it comes to the amphenol connectors used on the OMC outboards.

legendre
        Participant
          quote fleetwin:

I am not confused at all when it comes to the amphenol connectors used on the OMC outboards.

No one suggested you were, why did you assume that was the case? If you say a 1994 Johnson connector doesn’t require a service tool, then that may well be the case – and no one said otherwise.

As for my previous comment, I was referring to general confusion around connector manufacturers, types / styles and trademarks. AMP is frequently conflated with Amphenol (people assume "AMP" is a short form), just about any mated multi-pin connector has been called a "Molex" at one time or another, and so forth.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

rjoynt:
            I won’t waste your time with this rant any further. Let me know if you have more questions about the ignition system on your 94 Johnson.
            Don

rjoynt
            Participant

US Member

I found the 553-2700 tools at my local marine supplier. He said he will have it in a week or two. I am looking forward to getting it and having a new tool.
              Thanks for all of the responses.

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.