Home Forum Ask A Member Aquabug?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    john8504
    Participant

So I picked up this little motor that I have never heard of before. 1hp aquabug. It’s super light as well, maybe 10 lbs. Anyone know anything about them and value?

Attachments:

bobw
      Participant

US Member

That looks like an early 1970s motor originally made by a company in New York – I think something like Seaway or Seaborne. They started out using Ohlson & Rice powerheads. O&R made model airplane motors, chain saw motors, bicycle motors and other small motor applications. There are also some current model Aquabugs made by a company called Bike Bug that uses a Tanaka powerhead – those things look like a modified weedeater. No idea of value on one of these original models like yours.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Those O&R engines used to drive me nuts. They didn’t run well—at least for me.

mike-stroz
          Participant

Those engines are a PITA to get running right. I’ve been trying to get my chainsaw with one of those engines going for about 6 months now

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

NADA price guide lists them from 1982-1987:

http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/1987/AQUABUG/Outboard-Motors

NADA says this about them:

Headquartered in Lawrence, New York, Aquabug International distributed a range of products supplied by Tanaka from the 1970s through to the mid-1980s. Specializing in extremely lightweight gasoline outboard marine motors, power ranges between 1.3 to 5.5 horsepower were offered under the Aquabug name. Offering ideal products for smaller boating, Aquabug disappeared after experiencing financial troubles.

Someone has started using the name again – don’t know if it evolved from the same company:
              Dave

https://www.amazon.com/AquaBug-Outboard-Motor-Smallest-Stroke/dp/B01N0SJ9MZ

Here – I just found the mfgrs website:
              https://bikebug.net/collections/aqua-bug-outboard-motor

john8504
              Participant

Yeah the newer versions are a glorified weedeater. This thing spins free so hopefully I can get some life out of it. If it is also a glorified weedeater, then I should have eh parts to get it working right.

20mercman
                Participant

US Member

We have one like this, although the cowl is white. It is somewhat finicky, but a lot of power for the size. We have run it on a canoe and it is nice for that. Very light. The mixture needle is the thing that keeps moving, other than that, it is not bad. No idea of value. It was given to us by a fellow that used to fly a Piper Cub on floats. He gave us his Elto Cub and the Aqua Bug that he used on the plane. Very light motors. He also gave us a HD-25, but I don’t think he flew with the HD. The aqua bug is much more powerful than the HD-25 even though it is a single.

Steve

melugin
                  Participant

US Member

Use chain saw oil, as it is air cooled and runs hotter than an outboard. The fuel sediment bowl near the shut-off may not live very long, reproductions are available. When running well, they crank up amazing rpms.

john8504
                    Participant

Use chainsaw oil when it says 100:1 mix?

rudderless
                      Participant

I get some parts for mine here…https://www.ereplacementparts.com/tanak … 35027.html

Please use 50/1 oil/fuel mix..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.