Home Forum Ask A Member Archimedes penta 252 25hp outboard

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    davesko
    Participant

Anyone heard of this motor, have a chance to buy one that’s never been ran, still in crate. It needs a propeller, any idea on parts for this unit? Opinions. Thanks Dave

amuller
      Participant

From what I’ve heard–no direct experience–these are OK outboards but availability of parts is limited as Volvo is no longer in the outboard business and nobody picked up the line.

Tom
        Participant

US Member

If it’s anything like the 14 hp a friend has, it has plated aluminum cylinders and no replacement parts are readily available. I would steer clear.

Tom

dan-in-tn
          Participant

US Member

Saw a 14hp for sale at Tomahawk for $15. It looked real good & I think it finally sold on the last day. Not sure that is an endorsement, but somebody decided to take a chance?

Dan in TN

kees
            Participant

International Member - 2 Years
              quote davesko:

Anyone heard of this motor, have a chance to buy one that’s never been ran, still in crate. It needs a propeller, any idea on parts for this unit? Opinions. Thanks Dave

that 14 hp for $15 was not much for that motor, but nobody knows the answer on the question…
              "Is it a runner" 🙂 or if not, "Will it run again after a TLC job" 😮
              This model 252 25 hp is still in his crate and brand new !!
              I don’t know what the reason is that this motor get so much negative feedback or that you all don’t like a challenge
              but if it was mine, I can find the right prop in less than a week.
              But I live in the Netherlands and have friends in Sweden
              that makes the difference I guess. 😎
              Its your call "davesko" , if you like it…..grab it.
              good luck Dave !
              😉 😉 😉 😉

davesko
              Participant

Thanks guys for all the feedback. He is asking 300 and he claims he will run it. You can tell it’s brand new but the prop worries me. I’ve made other bad decisions so what’s another?

dan-in-tn
                Participant

US Member

kees; it was nice to meet you at Tomahawk! It takes a real commitment to come across the puddle to the national meet. Its not a matter of knocking the Penta motor as much as parts availability? Casey (Pappy) worked for Vovlvo for 10 years & wants a Penta. We were headed over to look at that motor, but it was gone! You are right $15 is not much money and we should all like a challenge. Our challenge was to get it home? We were loaded as it was, but we were going to make room for it. I think parts are what hold them back so bad. Are parts more readily available across the pond? Even the aluminum coated cylinders would not slow me down. Anything can be sleeved! Done it on many motors before. Hope someone got a deal!
                  If a new motor is taken care of properly it should last many years. Go for it Dave! $300 is not much for a new outboard these days.

Dan in TN

punchbug
                  Participant

tdstroke/ pappy I have a volvo penta that is free to a good home. I got it with a bunch of other motors, paid $25 for it but wasn’t really interested in it. You know the routine buy em all or nothing, 6 motors $150 one just happened to be a Penta. She is rough but looks complete. You pay shipping or pick it up and it is yours.

amuller
                    Participant

Archimedes has/had a long historic presence in the outboard motor industry, at least in Europe. So from this point of view the motors should be regarded as very collectible. Just sayin.

kees
                      Participant

International Member - 2 Years
                        quote t2stroke:

kees; it was nice to meet you at Tomahawk! It takes a real commitment to come across the puddle to the national meet.

Dan in TN

Likewise Dan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.