Home Forum Ask A Member Asbestos

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    The Boat House
    Participant
      billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

How is the test done? Recently, our neighbor demoed his house. In the process, they found that there was asbestos in the drywall joint compound; so it all had to be removed before the demolition guy would touch it. I was wondering how they could even tell.

Asbestos in OMC gaskets. That’s just great. I wonder how many of THEM I scraped without any mask at all…..Maybe all the Trilux anti-fouling paint I scraped will cancel it out. At least I don’t smoke.

Long live American manufacturing!

chris-p
        Participant

We send our samples to a lab to inspect under microscope for analysis.

Not sure how many Bill, but I had a couple exhaust gaskets tested and came back positive.

chris-p
          Participant

The "good thing" if you can call it that about asbestos gaskets is that they are "non friable". Simply means the fibres will not become airborne by hand pressure alone. You would need to take say a dremel to it to get the fibres airborne. Keep them wet is my best advice if you do not want to wear a mask.

theodore
            Participant

(Cop #1) "We had to move out of our station house 3 months ago. They found out that the walls had asbestos, the floors had asbestos, and even the ceilings had asbestos. They made us all wear these special masks since they discovered the problem."

(Cop #2) "And now, this morning, we just found out our masks are made of…………asbestos."

……RENO 911

reivertom
              Participant

US Member

Just don’t grind it up and snort the powder and you will be OK. If you have to scrape it off into pieces, just do it outside or use a shop vac.

joecb
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just my $0.02 worth… the asbestos hysteria is greatly over blown. A real gold mine for the lawyers. Now having said this, understand that, yes many people contracted lung cancer attributed in part or fully to asbestos. But you have to understand that if the problem was as bad as the lawyers make it out to be no one would have survived the 20th century. In my life time asbestos was in just about everything… all industrial insulation, fire protective coatings, protective clothing, floor tile, wall board, building siding, roofing material, caulk, gaskets, brake linings, … it goes on and on ! In the Navy we regularly donned a full asbestos fire fighting suit as part of weekly fire drills. We should all be dead by now! If you encounter an old gasket or packing, just use common sense, don’t sand, grind of break it up where you can breath in the dust.
                  Joe B

rapier
                  Participant
                    quote JoeCB:

Just my $0.02 worth… the asbestos hysteria is greatly over blown. A real gold mine for the lawyers. Now having said this, understand that, yes many people contracted lung cancer attributed in part or fully to asbestos. But you have to understand that if the problem was as bad as the lawyers make it out to be no one would have survived the 20th century. In my life time asbestos was in just about everything… all industrial insulation, fire protective coatings, protective clothing, floor tile, wall board, building siding, roofing material, caulk, gaskets, brake linings, … it goes on and on ! In the Navy we regularly donned a full asbestos fire fighting suit as part of weekly fire drills. We should all be dead by now! If you encounter an old gasket or packing, just use common sense, don’t sand, grind of break it up where you can breath in the dust.
                    Joe B

Is a miracle material really, and so ubiquitous..Have just replaced the 88 year old piece that dissipates the heat transfer from the exhaust on a P-45 and hauled out sheets of roofing buried in undergrowth behind my garage this weekend.

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

I, too, should be dead by now from all the crap I’ve breathed in my life. Remember when we worked on the old drum brakes and would pull the drum, then use an air hose to blow a huge cloud of brake dust out of the brakes? That stuff was asbestos.

OK, not to minimize it, I gotta say my father-in-law died of lung disease. He rebuilt brakes for a living.

chris-p
                      Participant

I’m going to back away from this conversation. I work in construction, and have thick skin, its near impossible to offend me, however, I find it very offensive to minimize asbestos when you don’t have a clue what you are talking about….and to recommend others follow your poor advice in an online forum is even worse.

I have said my peace. I have buried too many people from this "overblown" hysteria…. I don’t want to have to bury more.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.