Home Forum Ask A Member Besides your fingers….What is your fav Piston Ring Compressor?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    seakaye12
    Participant

US Member

What style works best?

I’m talking about small engines with small pistons; say 2".

Different tool for motors with removable heads and those with removable jugs (blind bore…)???

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Without a doubt, the tapered sleeve type. Disclaimer: They are size-specific, so don’t have all sizes.

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

I was thinking something like these would be nice, but they’d
          have to be sized for small engines.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Piston-Ring- … bf268f4ecc

Not sure if I’ve seen the tapered sleeve type like Frank suggest.

Prepare to be boarded!

rco
          Participant

Heavy duty zip ties work great, and they are in my budget.

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I used little chunks (3) of PVC pipe around the rings with zip ties. Three points of contact & slip in mostly with Merc’s as they go in thru the crankcase.

Frank,
              Haven’t seen the tapered sleeves from the late 60’s Very great tool to have!

wagemaker
              Participant

I bought a Lisle 18500 Small Engine Ring Compressor on Amazon. $13.00 with free shipping. I have only used it on a 7.5 Evinrude. It worked fine.

joecb
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Lacking anything else, a simple loop of string will do the job, of course this works for one ring at a time. I like Jeff’s "PVC" idea, that with the string loop will be an improvement.

Joe B

bobw
                  Participant

US Member

I use a plastic Bondo spreader. Drop the piston into the block until the first ring rests against the top of the cylinder, put a little downward pressure on the piston crown, push the edge of the spreader against the ring starting at the ring dowel pin, rotate it around the piston and the piston will drop right in. Repeat for the next ring.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                    1954 Johnson CD-11
                    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                    1958 Johnson QD-19
                    1958 Johnson FD-12
                    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Pete
                    Participant

US Member
                      quote bobw:

I use a plastic Bondo spreader. Drop the piston into the block until the first ring rests against the top of the cylinder, put a little downward pressure on the piston crown, push the edge of the spreader against the ring starting at the ring dowel pin, rotate it around the piston and the piston will drop right in. Repeat for the next ring.

On split case engines that would be difficult.

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

For those of you that are unfamiliar with the tapered sleeve types. OMC only made them for their larger pistons, but other companies such as Martin also made them. They are also easy to make if one has a metal lathe. Showing a few that I made.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.