Home Forum Ask A Member Breeze tonight, Gale tomorrow?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member

My next project(s) I think, will be getting "one" early 1950’s Gale 12 hp
      running. The green (Sea Bee) and blue one (Sea King) are "froze up", but I picked up
      a good parts (red one) motor at Tomahawk. (Thanks John?)
      The later does not have the shifting gear case, so I’ll most likely
      end up putting it’s power head on one of the other’s L.U., assuming
      it bolts up okay.
      I guessing the Sea Bee is not "Army issue" even though it looks olive drab.
      There’s hints of green here and there, and if I stare long enough, some
      copper color. Anyone know what it’s suppose to look like? So far, I’m only
      finding photos of 12 hp Sea Kings, not Sea Bee’s, for circa 1951-53.
      Are the "Sea Bee’s" any rarer than the Sea Kings, or any other good
      reason to end up with one of the other when I’m done?
      Probably doesn’t mater much seeing how it may have parts from three
      different motors total, and would need re-painted, and hence, no longer
      original looking.

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

frankr
      Participant

US Member

That’s "sort-of" the color they were. I have a 3hp in a basket I could take a couple of pictures of when this frog-strangling rain lets up.

Well yeah, I’d say Monkey Wards had a lot more outboard customers than Goodyear did.

bobw
        Participant

US Member

Buc,

I know some of the early 50s SeaBees were a gold color with some blue trim. Yours looks like that gold color but faded of course. Seems like I remember a YouTube video one time of a 51 or 52 model that was restored with those colors. Might search there and see if you can find it.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

Frank, is your 3 hp a "Basket Case"? 😆 Photo would be great, but
            no need to get wet!

quote FrankR:

That’s “sort-of” the color they were. I have a 3hp in a basket I could take a couple of pictures of when this frog-strangling rain lets up.

Well yeah, I’d say Monkey Wards had a lot more outboard customers than Goodyear did.

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member

Bob, I did see a 5 hp Sea Bee on YouTube with gold for the major color,
              and something darker on the rewind, etc. I’ll look some more. thanks!

quote bobw:

Buc,

I know some of the early 50s SeaBees were a gold color with some blue trim. Yours looks like that gold color but faded of course. Seems like I remember a YouTube video one time of a 51 or 52 model that was restored with those colors. Might search there and see if you can find it.

Prepare to be boarded!

jpatti75
              Participant

US Member

Greg Jones has some pictures of one online. It’s a shifting model, but kind of looks like the color of yours.

https://hiveminer.com/User/conductorjonz

Buccaneer
                Participant

US Member

Thanks for the link JPatti!
                  Mr Jones has much nicer paint. Probably a made a year different than
                  mine, as the decals are different, but guess they were originally
                  the same color!

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
                  Participant

US Member

I now have all three circa 1951 Gale product outboards, two "shifting"
                    and one "non-shift" outboards apart. Both shifting version power heads
                    are froze. Thought it was going to be simple to put the good non-shifting
                    power head on one of the shifting lower units. Not so. 🙁

The non-shift PH on the left has 3/8" studs where it bolts on to the LU exhaust
                    housing. The shifting PH on the right uses long 1/4" bolts, that also hold on
                    an extension plate that the water line attaches to.
                    Further more, both engines have different lower crank bearing caps that are
                    different heights, and fitment as well.
                    The bottom of the crankshafts measure the same distance from the bottom
                    of the cylinder exhaust deck though, so I’m hopeful I could switch out
                    the bearing caps.
                    That said, if I’m able to remove the four 3/8" studs on the non shift power head’s
                    cylinder, how to I make the 3/8" hole into 1/4" ? Do they make a ready made
                    threaded adapter? Possible that I could make some, but may be a pain in the hinney.

Below is the shifting version’s Lower Unit.

Below is the non shifting lower unit

The shifting unit’s extension plate

Have any of you done this conversion, or should I have a burial at sea for all three! ????
                    Thanks.

Prepare to be boarded!

bobw
                    Participant

US Member

Buc,
                      I guess no hope in salvaging one of the 2 locked up power heads? Did you ever get the Sea King case split apart?

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                      1954 Johnson CD-11
                      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                      1958 Johnson QD-19
                      1958 Johnson FD-12
                      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Buccaneer
                      Participant

US Member

There’s always hope. The Sea King spent all day with air pressure on the one
                        piston. Every once in a while I’d tap the wood wedges tighter.
                        Nothing happened yet. I managed to get the Sea Bee power head split
                        apart, as it was froze in just the right rotation where I could remove
                        both rod caps. I put the cylinder in my bucket of ATF and Acetone.
                        Managed to get the lower crank bearing cap off the Sea King, in hopes
                        that it will fit on the good power head from the non shift model.
                        Have to clean the good power head tomorrow before I pull it’s lower
                        crank bearing cap off. Still haven’t decide what to do about the 3/8"
                        stud holes, to make them 1/4"!

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.