Home Forum Ask A Member Breeze tonight, Gale tomorrow?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

My Gale built ’50 Elto Speedster wedge was pretty tight to when I first got it but I got it undone and running good. Can’t remember how I did it but I did it.

Breeze tonight, Gale tomorrow……..at this rate you’ll probably have a Dark Side Hurricane by the weekend! 😀

Attachments:

bobw
      Participant

US Member

Buc,

Don’t know if these would work but look on Amazon for either an Oben or Fotasy brand 3/8 to 1/4” reducer bushing. I used some of these on some oddball project I was doing a few years ago. You may have to countersink the plate to allow for the head of the bushing.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

Bob, I think I found something similar to what you describe, before
          I "checked out" last night. They’re called E-Z Lok, and it doesn’t
          appear that the surface needs counter sunk.
          Thanks!

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

Looks like you had some nice patina on those pistons!
            Not sure It’ll be a "Dark Side" motor when I’m done,
            but more like Dr. Frankenstein’s monster…… parts from
            here, parts from there. Hopefully a good lightening storm
            will make it come alive!

quote Mumbles:

My Gale built ’50 Elto Speedster wedge was pretty tight to when I first got it but I got it undone and running good. Can’t remember how I did it but I did it.

Breeze tonight, Gale tomorrow……..at this rate you’ll probably have a Dark Side Hurricane by the weekend! 😀

Prepare to be boarded!

bobw
            Participant

US Member

Buc

Good find – should work perfectly.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
              1954 Johnson CD-11
              1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
              1958 Johnson QD-19
              1958 Johnson FD-12
              1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
              "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

I switch the necessary lower crank bearing cap onto the good block today.
                Same bolt hole pattern, internal bore, bearing size, crank end play was okay, etc., but
                the good power head crankcase doesn’t have the passages drilled
                for crankcase drains that match up with the lower crank bearing cap, and
                then dumps into the driveshaft housing. All three power heads I’m
                working with are built within a year of each other I believe, but
                evidently Gale made some changes. I hoping that not having the crankcase drains
                won’t be an issue. Did the earlier models "load up" or something?

quote Buccaneer:

Managed to get the lower crank bearing cap off the Sea King, in hopes
                that it will fit on the good power head from the non shift model.
                Have to clean the good power head tomorrow before I pull it’s lower
                crank bearing cap off. Still haven’t decide what to do about the 3/8″
                stud holes, to make them 1/4″!

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

frankr
                Participant

US Member

Fact is, I just don’t know the answer to your drain question without have both in hand. But I wonder–did either or both of the powerheads have a Woodruff key slot in the lower crankshaft main journal? If it did, that is an oil pump to pump the settled oil up to the top journal for lubrication. Might, maybe get rid of enough puddle drainage as it did so.

Buccaneer
                  Participant

US Member
                    quote FrankR:

Fact is, I just don’t know the answer to your drain question without have both in hand. But I wonder–did either or both of the powerheads have a Woodruff key slot in the lower crankshaft main journal? If it did, that is an oil pump to pump the settled oil up to the top journal for lubrication. Might, maybe get rid of enough puddle drainage as it did so.

Frank, I’m not finding a photo with the lower main crank bearing cap "off", but
                    from what I can tell in this photo, and from what I remember seeing, I’d
                    have to say "no" to a key slot in the lower crank main journal, but I have
                    the cap off the other two yet, so will look again.
                    Thanks.

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
                    Participant

US Member
                      quote Buccaneer:

quote FrankR:

Frank, I looked at the one Gale 12 hp power head that had the "lower crank" main cap removed,
                      and do see a slot of sorts, about 1/2" long, cut horizontally in the crank journal. It appears
                      that this slot would line up with a hole in the main cap bushing.
                      Is this the "pump" that you refer to?

Prepare to be boarded!

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

Yeah, common in small OMC motors, it acts as a rotary valve that opens when there is pressure in the lower crankcase section and suction in the upper section. That difference in pressure causes oil to flow up from the bottom to the top main. Most such engines have a small exterior hose or tube for the oil transfer. I don’t know how it was plumbed on the 12hp wedge.

I do not know if this satisfies as a puddle drain or not (your question). Other models had puddle drains in addition to the rotary valve setup.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.