Home Forum Ask A Member Choke switch Evinrude V4 1972 85 hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

I’m finally closing in on getting controls working for this.

The choke setup seems a little odd–the solenoid has two windings, one controlled by a switch and fulling closing the flaps. The other controlled by a thermal switch and apparently giving partial closure during warmup. The wiring diagrams show a separate choke switch but there is none in the control box and the key switch is not the push-to-choke type. Of course I can install a separate switch somewhere but what is the original setup? Also, is the switch supposed to be a momentary contact, and is the feed supposed to be from the start terminal or the "ignition" ("on") terminal of the key switch?

Probably an operator’s manual would clarify this stuff but I haven’t found one.

The control box I’m using is similar but not identical to this one: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns … &sid=38966

Thanks.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Supposed to have a toggle switch below the key switch. It is a momentary switch.

BTW, there is a service bulletin describing how to combine the warm-up solenoid winding with the operator-controlled choke.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

The service bulletin says to remove the Purple/yellow choke solenoid wire from the terminal strip and connect it to the screw with the two purple/white wires. Then when you flip the choke toggle, BOTH choke solenoid windings are activated for full choke. Warm-up choke will no longer work. Of course if you like the warm-up feature, leave it as is.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

You can install a push-to-choke key switch in the box.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years
              quote amuller:

The choke setup seems a little odd–the solenoid has two windings, one controlled by a switch and fulling closing the flaps. The other controlled by a thermal switch and apparently giving partial closure during warmup. The wiring diagrams show a separate choke switch but there is none in the control box and the key switch is not the push-to-choke type. Of course I can install a separate switch somewhere but what is the original setup? Also, is the switch supposed to be a momentary contact, and is the feed supposed to be from the start terminal or the “ignition” (“on”) terminal of the key switch?

The control box I’m using is similar but not identical to this one: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns … &sid=38966

Thanks.

OK, well that style control box should have a push to choke key switch….Perhaps someone changed out the switch improperly. I would pull the box apart and look for the purple white lead, which is the choke lead. Perhaps someone just left it laying inside the box connected to nothing…

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Um, the control that you linked to is not for the Hydro-Electric shift and won’t work on a Hydro-Elect.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Good point Frank!
                  Why don’t you post some pictures of just what you have in terms of control box and wiring….

amuller
                  Participant
                    quote FrankR:

Supposed to have a toggle switch below the key switch. It is a momentary switch.

BTW, there is a service bulletin describing how to combine the warm-up solenoid winding with the operator-controlled choke.

Thanks, Frank. This is a clearer diagram than the one I’ve been working with.

Question: I’d thought OMC used "selectric" only for the spring-clutch gearboxes, not the "hydro-electric" ones. Guess not….

amuller
                    Participant
                      quote FrankR:

The service bulletin says to remove the Purple/yellow choke solenoid wire from the terminal strip and connect it to the screw with the two purple/white wires. Then when you flip the choke toggle, BOTH choke solenoid windings are activated for full choke. Warm-up choke will no longer work. Of course if you like the warm-up feature, leave it as is.

Thanks. I think I will leave it as is and see how it works. Did OMC identify a defect that makes it desirable to simplify the choke wiring?

amuller
                      Participant
                        quote fleetwin:

quote amuller:

The choke setup seems a little odd–the solenoid has two windings, one controlled by a switch and fulling closing the flaps. The other controlled by a thermal switch and apparently giving partial closure during warmup. The wiring diagrams show a separate choke switch but there is none in the control box and the key switch is not the push-to-choke type. Of course I can install a separate switch somewhere but what is the original setup? Also, is the switch supposed to be a momentary contact, and is the feed supposed to be from the start terminal or the “ignition” (“on”) terminal of the key switch?

Thanks.

OK, well that style control box should have a push to choke key switch….Perhaps someone changed out the switch improperly. I would pull the box apart and look for the purple white lead, which is the choke lead. Perhaps someone just left it laying inside the box connected to nothing…

Seems like it. Yes, the purple-white lead is in there, and not long enough to go anywhere else.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.