Home Forum Ask A Member Choke switch Evinrude V4 1972 85 hp

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant
      quote FrankR:

Um, the control that you linked to is not for the Hydro-Electric shift and won’t work on a Hydro-Elect.

Quite so. But I have ginned up an improvised shift control and rung out all the leads. It works, but I haven’t been able to figure out a way to interlock it to prevent shifting at high speeds. Probably as soon as I have it all together a proper box will turn up.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Some people reported hard restarting after a short run and shutdown due to the thermal choke doing its thing on a motor that wasn’t warmed up but didn’t need choking to restart. Stuff like that.

amuller
        Participant

A couple of my Big Twins have pretty complicated choke setups.

I wonder: With cars having been injected for quite a while, and mowers more likely to have primers than chokes, young people might not know what to do with a choke.

amuller
          Participant

One more wiring question:

The gray tach lead from the "amplifier" lands on Terminal #7.
            The gray tach lead from the control box harness lands on Terminal #3-4 (jumpered) along with a bunch of other stuff mostly related to the alternator.
            So where does one hook up a tachometer sense lead? (I realize tachs vary….).

And thanks again, Frank, for the wiring diagram.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

The motor was originally wired for a special CD tachometer, rare as chicken fangs now. Today,s tachs are driven by the alternator and are connected to jumpered 3 & 4.

amuller
              Participant
                quote FrankR:

You can install a push-to-choke key switch in the box.

I did. It was slightly larger and getting everything stuffed into the box with no pinches was a bit of a pain, but a neater solution than another switch.

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.