Home Forum Ask A Member Condenser sub

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member

I bought four this morning, so there may only be 2881 left.

Prepare to be boarded!

seakaye12
      Participant

US Member
        quote Tom Manley:

I’ve done a few of these by removing the bottom with a lathe, removing the guts, and installing new condensers. The bottom can be soldered back on. One lead goes up along side the post for the screw, and gets soldered to the post on the outside. The other terminal goes through a hole in the bottom and is soldered in place after the bottom is soldered back on.

They work really well in a Martin 20, 75, and 200.

Tom

That’s of great interest to me Tom; I’ve got a few motors with those WICO points and have puzzled over how to make the modern caps work. Do you have pictures? I’m particularly curious as to how the post is connected inside the can. Certainly it must be a rather sturdy design because the retaining screw at the top needs to be strong and accurately positioned.

Chuck

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member

solder to the bottom of the post then drill small hole in the bottom of the can push the wire thru the bottom of the can solder to the bottom when it is fully assembled.

twostroke
          Participant

So….ground one wire, and the other is the original condenser wire, correct? Sorry for the stupid question…

Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

dave-bernard
            Participant

US Member

YEP!

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

Wish I would have "scrounged" some old Wico condensers last summer
                so I could make a few up with the "cap conversion"ahead of time.

Prepare to be boarded!

bullie
                Participant

Does anyone have or know of a video of this being done? I have a K-39 that I believe might have a bad condenser and I might get brave enough to try putting a capacitor in the condenser shell if I saw it done. I checked youtube and didn’t come up with anything.

dave-bernard
                  Participant

US Member

call me 1 914 310 7086. after 8:00 PM tonight.

Doug Wilson
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The automotive replacement i mounted in the recess then used original for a pattern and made aluminum covers to hide them

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
                      turned off?

outbdnut2
                      Participant

US Member

When using condensers like the ones from Digi-key (which will perform fine), do not mount them so the leadwires are subject to flexing as the motor vibrates. Small solid core wire will eventually break when flexed. These were made for electronic circuit applications.
                        Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 32 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.