Home Forum Ask A Member Corn Head Grease

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    ratrodz
    Participant

Anyone use corn head grease in 50s lower units? OMC? Merc? Both? Does it help with leaks? Other advantages?

Bob Huff

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Consider this while you are at it.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ … e-00?rfk=1

The Boat House
        Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
          • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by The Boat House.
          jw-in-dixie
          Participant

Use John Deere Corn Head grease in my green top rat motors – love it!

joecb
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I use the Deere Corn Head grease in "unsealed" gear cases , seems to be good stuff. The "Cotton Picker" grease that Frank referred to may also be a good choice however I noted that this is grade "OO" , the corn head grease is NLGI "O" grade… assuming that the "O’S" relate to viscosity , not sure which of the two is thicker.

Joe B

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

The 00 grade is thicker, it may not get into all the nooks and crannies in a needle bearing gearcase, that is Mercury, but would be fine with ball bearings . . . 😎

frankr
                Participant

US Member
                  quote JoeCB:

I use the Deere Corn Head grease in “unsealed” gear cases , seems to be good stuff. The “Cotton Picker” grease that Frank referred to may also be a good choice however I noted that this is grade “OO” , the corn head grease is NLGI “O” grade… assuming that the “O’S” relate to viscosity , not sure which of the two is thicker.

Joe B

Better put my suggestion on hold till I check that out in the morning. I already did do it once, but maybe I screwed it up (????)

EDIT: OK, I went out and checked what I bought. It actually is the 00 that the link points to. It is thinner than "grease" but thicker than "oil", but I don’t have any JD Corn Head grease to compare it with. After I get some coffee and breakfast, I’ll see if I can compare it with Lubriplate 105, but it won’t be a scientific test by any means.

EDIT EDIT: Back again, I squeezed out a little glob of both 00 and Lubriplate 105, and the 00 is thinner. Both will form a glob, but the 105 can be piled up higher. 00 might not be best choice for a leaky gearcase. End of scientific test.

Pete
                  Participant

US Member
                    quote Garry in Tampa:

The 00 grade is thicker, it may not get into all the nooks and crannies in a needle bearing gearcase, that is Mercury, but would be fine with ball bearings . . . 😎

Gary actually NGLI 0 is thicker than NGLI 00 based on ASTM D271 cone penetration test. NGLI 000 has most penetration (lowest viscosity) and NGLI 6 has least penetration and is thickest (highest viscosity) based on the NGLI (National Gear Lube Institute) scale.

Ref see pg 13

http://www.infomine.com/suppliers/Publi … eAug08.pdf

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

Edited my original post above.

The Boat House
                      Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
                        • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by The Boat House.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.