Home Forum Ask A Member Corn Head Grease

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    joecb
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks guys… so If I get this right the NLGI scale of viscosity goes like this … from thinnest ( 000) to thickest
      000, 00, 0 , 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc

Joe B

Pete
      Participant

US Member
        quote JoeCB:

Thanks guys… so If I get this right the NLGI scale of viscosity goes like this … from thinnest ( 000) to thickest
        000, 00, 0 , 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc

Joe B

Correct

westwind
        Participant

Canada Member

Just a further note, Marine "Waterproof" grease sold at most Automotive stores is NLGI No2 and is really thick. The "Marine" reference is for Boat Trailer bearings, not gear cases.

Another option to squeeze another season out before a gearcase reseal is some 85-140 gear oil, probable better in a shift lower unit than grease.

jnjvan
          Participant

US Member

I’ve used NLGI 00 grease from Tractor Supply (and others) for a few years now. I have never had a lubrication or water ingress related failure. That being said, I don’t put a lot of hours on my motors. I have used it in both shift and non-shift lower units. The NLGI 00 will slowly weep from poor seals, but much less than gear oil. The corn head grease is probably a better product, but I find that the packaging is less convenient.

John Van

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.