Home Forum Ask A Member Darkside question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    bullie
    Participant

1955 Mercury 6. Any special tools needed to work on them? I don’t have any Mercury motors and this one has popped up fairly close to me. Cosmetically it looks good. Will need a pull cord.

Good motor?

jerry-ahrens
      Participant

US Member

Is that a Super Silent 6 ? I’m not a Merc guy, but I think those are known for cracked lower gearcases due to freezing…check it over carefully.

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I am a Merc guy. I have been since I was a kid, and continue to be today. I am a fierce nationalist and Mercury Marine is the only US-based outboard builder left. That being said, I do not personally care for the Mark 6, Mark 6A or the very similar Mark 5. They are GREAT running motors and have a lot of speed for their size. But they require a tanker-truck load of patience to work on, compared to OMC stuff. If you want to know why some people hate Mercurys, you will know after you work on one of those.

In particular, as Jerry says, a HUGE, HUGE problem with them is that they will tend to break off a small ring of aluminum, at the aft end of the gear case bullet, just in front of the prop. If the ring has broken off and has been removed, it is hard for the unknowing person to tell the difference. However, this makes it so there is virtually nothing left to hold the guts into the gear case. And since it is a common problem, replacement cases are hard to come by.

Again, though, not to be a total negative Nellie, they ARE good runners when done. If you buy it, though, don’t pay a lot. A really nice one with a good gear case is worth a couple of hundred. A so-so looking one with a broken gear case is worth almost nothing.

Long live American manufacturing!

bullie
          Participant

He is asking $125. Donno if you can tell anything about the lower unit from the pic.

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

….I am a fierce nationalist and Mercury Marine is the only US-based outboard builder left.

are ETECs not US built…?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Yes, but BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products) is a Canadian company . . .
                🙂

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

I have heard that pronounced "Bomb Bar Dear" – but also "Bomb Bar D A" – What is the correct pronunciation ? ? ? 🙄

need2fish
                  Participant

Sorry — this is a bit of a hijack:

My facts say that Mercury outboards, 30 Hp and less, are made by Tohatsu in Japan.

The 40, 50 and 60 horsepower motors in are built in Suzhou, China.

Engines over 75 horsepower are built at Merc’s facility in Fond du Lac in Wisconsin.

All Evinrude motors are built and assembled in Sturtevant, Wisconsin, south of Milwaukee.

Yes, American jobs have moved off shore…. in most industries. Much of it has occurred due to Board Room pressure to improve the bottom line. Some of it has occurred is because we, the consumers, seek lower and lower prices. Not my .02 alone….. It’s documented by economists.

need2fish
                    Participant

Garry, it’s Bomb-bar-dee-ay, but the english version, Bom-ba-deer is generally accepted.

Cross-border financial laws prevent foreign companies from bleeding their US subsidiaries dry. Therefore, much of what BRP earns is kept in the US and distributed in the US (via stock dividends, as BRP is a publicly owned company as is Brunswick).

Meaning, Americans own most of BRP and Brunswick.

need2fish
                      Participant

Folks, lets leave the disinformation and resume outboarding!!! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.