Home Forum Ask A Member Darkside question

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    bullie
    Participant

Does all this mean I should let the guy keep his little motor?

dougs-outboards
      Participant

If it’s cheap enough to let it sit, buy it and sell it to a Merc guy sometime or trade (for an OMC) later.

If unsure, simple enough to pass on it.

wbeaton
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Buy it if you like it. These are very common motors. Merc guys trip over them to get to the motors they really want. The Silent 6 is commonly found in nice cosmetic condition. This is likely due to high gear case failure. I have seen so many pretty Silent 6’s with bad gears cases. I had to buy three of them to get enough decent lower unit parts to put one together.

Gary, in Canada its pronounced Bom-Bar-D-A. Never have I heard it pronounced the "English way" in reference to the company, but no one would be offended if you called it Bom-Ba-Deer. BRP is a small off shoot of the parent company. Tohatsu makes the small four stroke kickers that are branded Evinrude.

Wayne
          Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

green-thumbs
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Photo of repair weld. Still awaits a machinist.
            Louis

green-thumbs
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years
              crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
                quote Garry in Tampa:

Yes, but BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products) is a Canadian company . . .
                🙂

true… but the jobs are all in the US … it is like Kia Sorento’s and Santa Fee built in Georgia nice high paying jobs for cousins, uncles, …..
                and that is a much better deal than Apple computers and smart phones all built in Asia.

ho well…back to outboards btw I am in Canada and never heard it pronounced Bomb Bar da…?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

mike-stroz
                Participant

I mean for $125, that’s not a bad price as long as there’s nothing broken or missing. I’d pick it up. Maybe see if he’ll take any less

billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Looks to be intact but not too beautiful. Try $75 but I wouldn’t give over $100.

The whole "who makes what where" thing is getting very cloudy; but in my book, Mercury and Brunswick are still American COMPANIES. Do I wish all their engines were built in the US? You bet I do. But at least their flag ship engines, the Verados, are built here. Maybe if all our fellow Americans (and Canadians) keep buying Yamahas, ALL American outboard companies will be gone forever and we won’t need to have this conversation. Won’t that be something, though? We really have only ourselves to blame. Ford will be next.

Long live American manufacturing!

dockbuster1
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

I think you will find that the smaller evinrudes are also made by tohatsu

jcrigan
                      Participant

Check to see if it has the Phelon or Bendix magneto. You can use the less pricey omc coils on the phelon mag.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.