Home Forum Ask A Member E15….coming

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    outbdnut2
    Participant

US Member
      quote Randy in Tampa:

be better off making white lightning or corn whiskey to fuel hillbillies 😉

Agreed! Ethanol should be drank, not burned!

At the distilleries, ethanol is mixed with 5% gasoline before it leaves in trucks or by rail for distributors that then add more gas to it for the % needed at the pump. This is done so nobody hijacks a truckload for drinkin’. Gettin’ that gas to the distilleries is another cost adder.

Dave

jerry-ahrens
      Participant

US Member

I worry about the day when they outlaw ethanol free fuel. I have three service boats that I operate for my marine repair business. All three are old, and all are carbureted. I have had a few times, while stopping to refuel (on the way to a job) that the station was out of ethanol free gas. No worries, I’ll just run ethanol this time… what I found on my 165 Mercruiser inline 6 cylinder was this.. During winterization season here on the lake, we go by boat to various locations to prepare boats for winter storage. I usually pull in to the dock, shut off the engine, and the service boat sits for about 30-45 mins. while I work. I noticed with ethanol, the old 165 6 cylinder would fire right up when I hit the key to leave, then die. One more restart and it was fine. Fuel mileage seemed to be down a little, but not to bad. Now on the next trip, I refilled with ethanol free fuel. The engine would restart immediately, with no die outs. Fuel economy was back up too. The engine ran great, and I could tell the difference. Now I’ve owned this boat since 2004, and have burned a ton of gas through it. I’ve tried ethanol gas several times with the same results. I’ve seen so many other problems with this stuff that I’ve grown to hate it. However, it does bring a lot of work in for boat shops. I don’t like the high price at the pumps though, but I just bite the bullet and go with it. This is just my 2 cents on this subject, working on engines full time for a living.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

would e10 explain why some rope start ad cd qd fd etc.… seem finicky sometimes.

this will me my next test next summer…. only high octane no ethanol in the oldies

that is all we have here NO ETHANOL = HIGH OCTONANE

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member

Ethanol in the gas also presents a storage problem. See below from a collector car magazine. I helped two neighbors clean phase-serarated gas out of their inboard/outboard tanks after sitting all winter:

If you use stabilizer, make sure the label says it stabilizes ethanol – not all of it does.

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I always store oldies drained out and… my 75 ETEC fully fueled high octane (no ethanol) and pre-run on 2+4 BRP to stabilize the fuel

13 winters later at -20… -30 C … no issues perfect starts on a dime with the ETEC

old stabilized fuels from oldies are burnt in the cheapo lawn mower only…………….. the subsequent Spring

no issues with the lawn mower either 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

amuller
              Participant

E15 is here in Minnesota. It costs about 20 cents/gal less than the usual 20 proof stuff.

amuller
                Participant

Interesting. I would not have thought that the water would phase out from the ethanol, as they are supposed to be miscible. I need to find a graduated cylinder and experiment.

The Boat House
                  Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
                    • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by The Boat House.
                    Pete
                    Participant

US Member

I am not a fan of E fuel or the subsidies to grow non edible corn. Lucky here in Florida and where I live in Orlando many stations carry at their discretion E free fuel thanks to governor Scott. So my race outboards and lawn equipment use it. I do use E10 in our cars: a 1992 Nissan 300zx and a 1998 Infiniti I30 with no problems, but E10 caused corrosion in the 300zx injectors and had to replace them with Nissan upgraded design, the 98 had the improved injectors with no issues.

But there are some that really like the high alcohol E fuel. Ex: They are using E85 in their Nissan 300zx twin turbo cars (1990 – 1996) for more Hp once they computer/dino tune for the E85 with replaced high flow (about x2 more fuel) fuel injectors and a number of other changes. Alcohol cools the charge and tends to hold back detonation is a plus. And because about 2X more fuel/second is injected compared to gasoline in the engine it results in greater power. On E85 these Nissan guys are pulling at the rear wheels a huge 800hp and about 750 ft/lbs torque starting with a stock 300hp base engine 😯

But they get terrible gas mileage but do not care, performance is king 😀

sljohnson
                      Participant

There are a lot of vehicles on the road that Burn E15 just fine.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.