Home Forum Ask A Member Easy generator question

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

Seems to me like if a feller had a regular Johnson non-generator bracket, he could figure out what needs to be added to a non-Johnson generator bracket.

nj-boatbuilder57
      Participant

Would you believe I gave away a non-javelin gen bracket during a junk purge 2 weeks ago?

nj-boatbuilder57
        Participant

This may be doable after all….

Digging through my parts, I found another bracket. I removed the pointy (non-gen) bracket and mounted a non-pointy bracket w/ gen. Things are tight, but it’s "all there".

I never really noticed before, but the "point" (seen here on the starter side) is offset to the side & slightly forward of the casting "face" on a non-pointy bracket…

I thought I could maybe just drill a hole and mount some sort of point, but that won’t work, because of the offset mentioned above, and because of the way that would interfere with the bolt that connects to the intake. I’ll have to have something welded as Gary mentioned, so I’ll have to engineer something really carefully & find an expert welder. Welding aluminum takes talent……but welding an aluminum casting is a whole ‘nuther level of difficulty.

The other consideration in all of this is the regulator. As you can see, my rebuild of this engine was done without the transom-mounted control box; my solenoid is under the cowl, and all of my controls are run out to a modern Deutsch connector. (This connects to a cable that runs to my boat’s dashboard. It can also connect to a stand-alone switchbox that I use for bucket testing).

So with that said, I’m looking to source a small electronic regulator (like the JP Cycles 381-309), but it needs to be small, as the space is getting tight!

So progress is being made….but I’m not "there" yet! But with respect to space, I could gain a bit were it not for the huge air intake! Later-model engines didn’t have this monster, instead just had that little plastic "grate" over the carb intake. Would there be any downside to jettisoning the air intake?

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Louder. Noisy intake/reeds. The fiberglass hood serves as a noise suppressor on newer motors.

nj-boatbuilder57
            Participant

Never thought about noise. This engine is noisy enough as-is! Let’s hope I can find a really dinky regulator! I had a line on the perfect solution, but the (very small) company has ceased production of their regulators.

If anyone has a line on a suitable electronic regulator (not rectifier) that’s really small, please let me know.

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Harley Davidson motor cycle – – –

nj-boatbuilder57
                Participant

Kinda big & require airflow over the fins for cooling.

I found a smaller unit from a company in England, and I’m waiting for their reply to my e-mail with some questions.

That said, and for all of my bandwidth spent on this darn bracket, I’m beginning to wonder if this is worth it. There’s this little voice in my head that is saying "just put your battery on a charger every now & then". On vacation in Maine for 2 weeks, I had well over 50 starts without needing a charge…

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

Now you’re talking sense.

nj-boatbuilder57
                    Participant

By abandoning the entire notion?

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

Your suggestion–a battery charger. Generators have their place, like where the boat resides in a marina and charging the battery is inconvenient. Or maybe if you do a lot of night running.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.