Home Forum Ask A Member Eisemann 71L magneto

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    sbrown21
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

download/file.php?mode=view&id=11702
      I need help is there any way to put a OMC coil on this Eisemann magneto. There are lamanets on the end but there is a solid round rod that connects the two ends . I think the rod is welded or pressed on to the lamanets. I took it apart thinking that the center would be square and the same as the ends. Should I put a fork in it and say I’m done or is there a way to salvage this coil ? Eisemann 71L magneto

Attachments:

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Sure is, there is a writeup in one of the older Outboarders….I helped with the article but it was written by Jim Moffatt

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

george-emmanuel
        Participant

US Member

You cannot machine a part like that if it has laminates on the ends and a solid in the middle, so obviously, it should come apart. I haven’t done one of those but I’ve modified several other types. See if that round bar will come out by tapping the laminate away from the bar. Go gently. I think those brass grommets are there to hold the laminates together and should not be part of the round rod.

George

sbrown21
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks, the laminates run all the way through the rod witch is not one piece but laminated too. I drove the brass grommets out and gently separated the lamanets there were 2 pins holding the bar together. Now can I put the square hole on the OMC coil on the round lamantes on this coil with out making square? I will send a picture of the lamanets. Thanks Richard White and George Emmanuel

Attachments:

RICHARD A. WHITE
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Each laminate is modified differently, I performed this exact procedure on the same coil heel…. Let me find the info this evening and I will post the Outboarder is from between 2007 and 2009 detailed pics are in there. My Neptune Mastertwin was the motor I did this conversion on, and save a bd upper crankshaft seal the motor runs well

phil-b
              Participant

The thing I remember seeing in articles was to cut half the laminates in one place, and half in a different place, so you can reassemble them with the joints alternating. Using ][ to show where the laminations have been cut:

code :------------------][----
                ---][-------------------
                ------------------][----
                ---][-------------------

Assuming the new coil leaves enough space on either side to run a bolt thru to keep the stack together.

Putting the widest (old center) laminations on the outside of the stack might give you a square enough profile to hold a coil that has a square hole….

sbrown21
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have put the OMS coil on the Eisemann heels I cut the lammanets in two different places to stagger the cuts and reattached them. Do you think that I will have to change the condenser or use the old 71L eisemann condenser ? I have squared up the lammanets and put it on the motor. I will have to add some more wire from the condenser to the coil but think it will work. any suggestions posted pictures below.

Attachments:

RICHARD A. WHITE
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

Ok, the problem is those cuts need to fall in a location that has them inside the coil, if that makes sense, here are my photos of when I did this. I USED 2 OMC coils on this laminate for my Neptune Mastertwin

49hiawatha
                    Participant

Nice show and tell. Thank you.

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

Richard, I assume that worked for you, but I’m surprised that it did. I’ll have to get out my old textbook on transformers and read up on the subject.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.