Home Forum Ask A Member Eisemann 71L magneto

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    RICHARD A. WHITE
    Participant

Lifetime Member

Motor ran very well… up until the oil got past the upper crank seal…. Once that was corrected and the goo cleaned off my points she had good spark again…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
      classicomctools@gmail.com

sbrown21
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Richard, I moved the coil to the other end of the coil heel over the cuts. I put the flywheel back on and tested coil showed good. Turned the flywheel no spark . Took the flywheel off and found that the screw coming out of the coil was touching the bottom of the flywheel. Cut the screw down to half it’s length checked the coil ( bad ) did I ruin the coil by the plug wire screw touching the bottom of the flywheel or something else ?

RICHARD A. WHITE
        Participant

Lifetime Member

Pictures…. They will help immensely…

sbrown21
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This is the way I had it hooked up. the screw I was talking about connects to the plug wire.

Attachments:

RICHARD A. WHITE
            Participant

Lifetime Member

OK, You can point that in any direction that does not hit the flywheel, so down or to the center are other options… Have you confirmed 2 things?

1) is the condenser good?

2) have you made sure the points are absolutely, positively, without a doubt clean?

I also see another possible issue, is that coil wired properly? It is hard to tell as mine have a green wire and a black wire…. My gfreen wire goes to the points…

sbrown21
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The points are clean , cleaned them made sure of that. I don’t know how to check condenser but the outer case and center do not read so they are not grounded. The green wire off of the coil goes to the points and condenser. The black wire goes to ground on the coil heel. Do you think When the coil screw rubbed against the bottom of the flywheel it blew the coil

Buccaneer
                Participant

US Member

Guess I’d do some basic test on the coil with your ohm meter
                  and go from there.

Prepare to be boarded!

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

The screw/wire has to be at least 1/4" or more from any grounded part, or the spark will arc over to it.

sbrown21
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I wanted to give an update on this post. I changed coils used a 3 wire hook up instead of the 2 that came on the OMC coil. The coil I used came off of a mag plate I had lying around. I hooked it up liquid taped the spark plug wire put the flywheel back on and guess what ? ( NICE FAT SPARK ) posting pictures of hook up. Thanks guys for all the help. Richard White , Frank R, Buccaneer and all the rest of you guys.

Attachments:

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.