Home Forum Ask A Member Elto Senior Speedster, Electric

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    alanp
    Participant

US Member

I just picked this up. I know very little about it except the little bit written in The Old Outboard Book. 1930 Elto Senior Speedster Electric, 14hp, s/n 3110517.
      I normally don’t buy old outboards this large, I like to stay with the smaller ones (to hard on the back). So I know nothing about it, I felt this might be a good one. Not sure?
      I would be interested in any comments or knowledge you guys might have. Did I do okay?

Attachments:

pm-t2
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

They are as fine a motor as any antique out there. THe Sr Speedsters are strong.

Your is a model 311, which SHOULD have the Owen-Dyneto starter-generator appliance on top. Your motor has been converted over to what appears to be a conventional flywheel/magneto ignition from a 1930 Evinrude Speeditwin.

More in a minute

Best,
        PM T2

pm-t2
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

The Sr Speedster is rated at 14 HP and probably is full value for that HP rating. It will easily plane a boat with 2-3 average-sized adults on board.

Without the electric start, you gain a weight advantage of some 20 pounds (if not more) over a factory-correct model 311.

its more commonly seen brother is the model 310, which is the same motor but with battery ignition like most Elto’s had at that time.

Flywheel magneto makes it easier to service and tune, as well as make it easier to handle (not so top-heavy).

Things to watch for – lower units are thin-walled castings, I’ve had a couple of them show up with small cracks in various areas, I’m betting most likely due to water infiltrating the interior of the gearfoot then freezing.

be carefull when setting her down on her back, you don’t want to break any fins or tabs off those nice exhaust manifolds.

Can’t see what you’ve got for a tiller handle, so can’t say if the one you have is correct or not.

The thumbscrew ear broken off is very common, thats why Art Dekalb sells so many reproduction Elto thumbscrews.

Preserve that tank decal, they don’t often show up as readable as yours. Your mixer valve carb is correct, looks like the adjustment lever on top of it is broken off, but Art sells those too, so no despair necessary.

Don’t know what you paid for it, but regardless, if you were looking for a really cool antique Elto that will probably run and give you more thrills than you’d think at first sight – congratulations, because you found one.

I have a complete model 311 as well as a couple of 310’s. If you need anything else, let me know eh.

Hope this helps.

Best,
          PM T2

alanp
          Participant

US Member

Thanks so much. I attached a couple more photos. One of the tiller. One of the gearcase. It looks like it was welded. Also one of a couple holes in the rear. Were these to put a rope thru for carrying? Or is something missing?
            I literally just walked in the door with it so haven’t had time to clean it up. I also added a photo of flywheel. I thought it was the wrong flywheel. The gas smells fresh in the tank, line they ran it last summer.

alanp
            Participant

US Member

More photos

pm-t2
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

If the dark area on the lower unit is where you think the weld is, that would jive with other motors I’ve seen.

other place to look for a crack down there is the rear bearing cone.

The holes in the tabs sticking out of the exhaust manifolds are indeed for hooking up ropes/cables for remote steering.

I’m now convinced that somebody (possibly even a dealer) swapped a model 156 magneto and flywheel on there in exchange for the original Owen-Dyneto unit. This was usually only done if the electric-start unit failed or burned out. 1930 was the first year that production outboard motors were offered with electric start. Other notable E/S motors of 1930 were the Evinrude Speeditwins model 167, Elto Quad, Johnson SE-50, VE-50, Caille model 47 (might have been more Cailles but I disremember the models) model 163 Lockwood Chief, and ummm ummmm ummmm I think thats all there was in 1930. In succeeding model years, some motors fell off the list (Caille, Lockwood) but Evinrude and Elto carried on using different versions of the Owen-Dyneto units until at least the late 1930’s. I have a 1931 Elto Super C electric (model 607) that is as sweet a running motor as I could hope for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fOkvwh3Cxg

Your tiller handle is correct for an electric-start Senior Speedster. It has the slot cut out of one side for the speed control. With the Owen-Dyneto unit, the lever controls the timing advance. Without the electric-start, it can’t do a whole lot. IF – and I say "if" because I don’t want to look pushy – but "if" you want to trade that tiller for a conventional Sr Speedster tiller handle, I have one I would trade you. Otherwise, I’ll cut a healthy standard Sr Speedster tiller to make it into the one I want.

Hope this helps.

Best,
                PM T2

alanp
                Participant

US Member

Thanks Pm T2. I sent you a couple private messages. Did you get them? I seem to have problems with private message.

Buccaneer
                  Participant

US Member

PMT2, that’s one neat electric start motor!
                    I bet it turns heads at the boat ramp
                    when you crank it over 😎

Prepare to be boarded!

49morphew
                    Participant

US Member

Here are some pics of my Elto 311

Attachments:

Buccaneer
                      Participant

US Member

Too bad we seldom hear stories about the original
                        owners of these fabulous outboards with electric start.
                        I’m guessing they had some nice automobiles too!

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.