Home Forum Ask A Member Elto Super A

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    garry-in-michigan
    Participant

Lifetime Member

The Super A was largely semigloss aluminum except for the bottom part of the fuel tank and the pump housing which was black, The gearcase was polished with Mercuric Oxide (Jewelers rouge) The mercury was supposed to slow down corrosion. . . 😉

bill-loveland
      Participant
        quote Lyks2Tinkr:

Last year I picked up a decent 32 Elto Super A.
        It turned over a bit stiff and found a rod slightly bent and also no rings.
        I fixed the rod easy enough and I installed a new set of Hastings rings. 2 questions,
        The Pistons have no locating pins. I know this started to become common in the early 30s. I have installed new butt joint rings. Were the original rings butt
        jointed or slanted or over lapping?
        This motor was also painted silver. The cylinders still have a decent amount of nickel plating so I’m thinking this motor wasn’t painted from the factory. Was any part of this motor painted from the factory?
        I really like the look of this motor with the embossed tank and would love to run it this summer. Thanks for any help.

mine looks like yours, plating under paint, no black paint on the pump housing, but…

the tiller handle is painted black and the twist grip is either unpainted, or had paint in the low spots, striped

no evidence of the decal

lyks2tinkr
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Bill.
          I will repaint the cylinders a high heat silver.
          It looks like the motor had a repaint at some point. I’ll look at the water pump housing to see if it was originally black.
          I really want to run this motor.

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.