Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude 35 hp control or electric maybe late 80s

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    mgsolakis
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I have an Evinrude 35 hp that is giving me problems. It is electric start with the control. It starts fine but when I turn it off it takes 30 seconds or so to shut off. I also noticed that as I increase throttle on the control the idle arm comes up with it and kills the engine. Also after shutting off the engine it is difficult to start. Any thoughts? Is it a bad control or something electronic on the motor or both. Thanks.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Don’t know the answer to all your questions. Probably more than one problem. But one problem for sure is the control. The fast idle lever shouldn’t be coming up when you work the main lever. Does that have anything to do with the hard start? Maybe, maybe not. It certainly doesn’t have anything to do with taking 30 seconds to turn it off.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, the simplest test for shutting off the engine is to ground the powerpack’s stop lead directly to ground (engine block) while it is running. If the engine shuts off fine when the pack stop lead is grounded, then you have a key switch/harness or wiring problem. I suppose it is a good idea to check the powerpack ground lead as well, but I would think there would be other symptoms…The powerpack is to blame if the engine does not want to shut off when its stop lead is grounded directly to the block. Do be careful, the stop lead is live with a few hundred volts, it will zap you.
          Post a picture of the control box, there was/is a kit available to make sure those warm up levers stay down/in place. Needless to say, a preloaded/overtightened throttle cable will cause this issue as well…

mgsolakis
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Okay because the powerpack grounding sounds a bit dangerous for someone who has not done it before I will tackle the control first. Either way it sounds like it is broken. Should I open it up and see if I can see why the idle lever is coming up with the throttle?

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Don’t disassemble the control box, please post a picture of your control box, so I can see if it has the update kit on it. The warm up lever should have a black plastic snap/clamp/lever set up that mates up to the black plastic piece retained by the key switch. It is possible that these parts are in place, but broken.
              In other words, you should not be able to pull up that warm up lever (with control box in neutral), unless you pull up on the black plastic locking lever…
              But, once again, if your throttle cable is "preloaded", too tight, this can cause the warm up lever to pop up on its own as well…
              As for the powerpack stop lead grounding test, yes you could get zapped. And, you really do need the special remover/installer tools to get the pack stop lead out of the black wire connector. You can check the powerpack ground though, and pull the big red plug apart to see if all the pins are straight and going into their mating sockets.
              Again, post some pictures of your engine (with hood off), and the control box so we have a better idea about what year your engine is and which control box you are using…

mgsolakis
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

How do I post pictures here on the site? Do I need to post somewhere online and provide a link?

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

you can email them to me if you like, and I will put them up…
                  dkellogg56@gmail.com

mgsolakis
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Thanks Fleetwin photos sent.

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well your 35hp is a short shaft mid 80s model, and that control box has never been updated…Does that "kill switch" work, or did someone bypass it? If indeed the safety stop switch works, try shutting the engine down by pulling the safety lanyard off while running to see if it shuts off properly…
                      You will need items 73-76 (two of the screws) to update your control box, you may have to drill the two holes in the warm up lever for the screws to go through. There used to be a "kit" to update the original control boxes, but I don’t have that part number and doubt it is available…
                      http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns … te+Control

Attachments:

mgsolakis
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

No the kill switch does not work on this control. Where do I drill the holes to update this control? I have another control I might be able to use as well I’m not sure if it’s newer or older, it looks a bit different.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.