Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude 35 hp control or electric maybe late 80s

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, you would hold the black plastic latch in place on the warm up lever, then drill the two holes through the openings in the black plastic latch through the top half of the warm up lever. No need to drill through both sides of the warm up lever, that detent ball set up should just be pryed out so the plastic filler can be slipped inside for the latch screws to thread into…
      Feel free to email me pictures of the other control box you are considering.

dan-in-tn
      Participant

US Member

Fleetwin I believe he may have a control box earlier than his engine? He may need this kit #396123. NLA, but some on eBay. At least you get to see all the parts needed. His original lever may not have enough space/length for holes to be drilled?

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/pa … %3C%2Fp%3E

Kit shows parts needed for update.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRP-IMC-Johnso … SwdoJbO89q

Other kits/parts are available on eBay for different prices.

Dan in TN

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Dan, that kit is exactly what he needs! Please order this kit from ebay and you should be all set, then we can work on finding out why the engine won’t shut off properly…

mgsolakis
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Thanks to both you guys hopefully it will ship up to Canada. Maybe I can beat the tariff war if I order it quick haha. I sent a picture of that other control I have to you Don. I’ll repost once the control is sorted and let you know about the not turning off issue. Maybe the control will solve it and maybe not. Thanks again.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, I could not upload the pictures of the alternate control box Mike emailed to me…In any event, it was the older style, which will fit and work, but these older boxes have the same inherent problem as Steve’s current control box. So, I wouldn’t mess with it unless it was being sold for less than the repair kit for his current box.
              The only benefit to trying another box is to find out whether the engine shuts off properly with it. If the engine shuts off properly with another control box, then we can assume there is a wiring/key switch problem with his current box.

mgsolakis
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Okay sorry I replied to your email but I’ll reply here as well so that anyone following can learn as well. Now I understand what you mean as well. The old box is no good but it would tell us whether the control on the boat is faulty.

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.