Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Fisherman water pump question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    proj-356-b
    Participant

I have an Evinrude Fisherman outboard motor.

I think the serial number is 278619, that is the casting on the inside of the motor and on the shaft (short shaft motor).

I have owned the motor since 1987. I have not used it in many years (12?).

I put fresh gas in it yesterday and it started quite easily.
      I put the motor in a 30 gallon trash can while mounted to a wooden saw horse.

It looks like the water pump is not working. There was no water coming out of the exhaust port in back.

Can anyone give me some guideance on how to resolve this ?… or, is there a mechanic you can refer me to that I can hire.

I am in the Corunna/Owosso Michigan area, between Flint and Lansing.

Thank-you,
      Tom

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Can we assume it is a 5 1/2 hp motor? You have to remove the powerhead to disconnect the shift rod, then remove the lower unit. Then the water pump will be right there looking at you. At the very least, you will need a new impeller and some gaskets and seals. Not a hard job, but may intimidate some people. A piece of cake for others.

proj-356-b
        Participant

HI Frank,

Very kind of you to respond back, thank-you.

I did some google searches and figured out, I posted the wrong number. Correct number is: 6502M E11676.

Is there a YouTube video or a book you can recommend on the procedure ?

I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG1LGoTITfE

But, in that video, he did not remove the power head.

Thank-you,
          Tom

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Some you-tube videos are very good, and some I say tsk-tsk. Beyond that, I’ll shut up. Anyhoo, your motor is a 1965 and is different than that video you mentioned. You DO have to remove the powerhead on yours, trust me. In addition to the shift rod connector under the powerhead, there is a seal under there that is vitally important. Ignore the importance of it and destroy the powerhead. It won’t happen today, or tomorrow, but give it time and it will.

I have not researched what videos are available because I’ve been doing this since 1954, and know how by now.

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
              proj-356-b
              Participant

Those are two good videos, I watched both of them, thank-you for posting them.

I thought removing the power head would be like brain surgery… the video made it look like it might be doable by a novice like me.

I have a (car) engine stand, I think I can bolt on a wood section of 2×10 and make a working stand for my small boat motor.

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I may be wrong but I seem to recall ❓ ❓ some bolts are longer than others… just make certain you remember which one and put them back in the same location

Yes it is easy to do just get a new base basket if you break yours… I got mine from vintageoutboard .com but dealers surely have them

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

bob-d
                  Participant

US Member

Good idea for the car engine stand. If you have a strong vice, you can also put a piece of wood in it to make a quick engine stand. Marineengine.com should have a parts breakdown for your engine that you can study before you dig in. Take your time, and take pictures before you start. I also find that putting the parts in zip lock bags marked by groups, helps in the reassembly. Good luck, it’s not that hard.
                    Bob D

proj-356-b
                    Participant

This evening, I made a wood adapter for my motor and got it mounted on my (automotive) engine stand.

I went to a local marine motor sales/service and bought a new water pump/impeller.

I don’t know how to post pictures, else I’d post a pic.

proj-356-b
                      Participant

I took the top cover off the motor and looked at the motor and compared to the videos on YouTube.. preparing to remove the power head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY2HrEdp5vg
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVOedhzPP7M

Besides the fuel line it looks like I also need to remove/disconnect:

1) Choke cable, looks like a small pin will disconnect the cable/joint/junction
                        2) Low Speed Mixture dial – looks like I need to unscrew this out of the carb.. does that sound correct ?
                        3) Pull cord and/or pull cord spring… will the unit become "unsprung" or anything like that when I take it off ?… it looks like a couple/few 10mm bolts hold it on.

I found the bolts that hold the head on, they all look reachable.

I did not get a gasket set yet… I thought it might be best to find out what I need and then place an order. I did pick up a new water pump impeller last night, but I suspect I’ll need more parts.

Any suggestions on 1-3 above or anything else ?

I plan to work on the motor tomorrow evening.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.