Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Mate F2RCTD

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    mike-stroz
    Participant

Just picked up this little Evinrude the other day, and it’s a really sweet runner, but I had it running in the barrel and didn’t see any water coming out. Should there be some? There are 4 holes about halfway up the leg that weren’t covered in water and it looked like there was exhaust coming out with a very small amount of water. Is this normal or do I need a new impeller?

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There should be a decent mist coming out of those 4 holes. That is the only place water comes out of these. There is no tell-tale pee stream. If you don’t have a fairly heavy mist coming from those holes you should check / replace the impeller.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

mike-stroz
        Participant

Thanks for the reply. There were a few drops collecting around the holes but no real mist. I’m guessing I need a water pump?

rmhxruss
          Participant

Use a heat stick, thermo melt stick. To check if no steam probably OK.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

They are supposed to discharge a fair amount of water as Fisherman said. However, my experience has been that some of them discharge hardly any at all. I tried to figure it out without much success, even resorting to drilling more holes. I conclude the water must be running down the inside of the housing in a stream and not being broken up and blown out. Try slightly tilting, then steering it all the way around to reverse to see if more comes out. While you are checking temp, be aware that the flat exhaust cover plate on the side and the cylinder head right around the spark plug are not water cooled and get pretty dang hot.

lindy46
              Participant

US Member

I routinely replace the impeller in all "new to me" motors. For less than $20, why take a chance.

outbdnut2
                Participant

US Member

Splash some water on the block and head after it runs awhile – if it does not boil/sputter it’s cooling OK.
                  Dave

mike-stroz
                  Participant

I decided to take a second look before buying an impeller, and you can’t see anything coming out, but when I put my hand behind those holes I can feel a little water spraying out and my hand gets wet. I left it run in the barrel for an hour and it didn’t overheat so I’m going to call it good enough. Don’t want to put $20 into a motor that only cost me $10, especially if it doesn’t need it.

mike-stroz
                    Participant

Now I’m trying to change the lower unit oil in this thing. It looks fine, but I think it’s about 10 years old. Just wondering if there’s any special procedure to do that. On the older motors, I know there’s a drain and a vent and you have to fill it up from the bottom, but I can only see one screw to take out, right on the side of the LU behind the prop.

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, there is only one screw indeed! So, I would just remove it, tilt the engine up and point the drain/fill hole down, it will take awhile for the air to unlock and the fluid to drip out….
                        To refill, I would flip the engine the other way so the drain/fill hole is pointed up. You will do better with an old fashioned oil squirt can to fill the cavity slowly and let the air escape….It will take awhile for the air to escape, so let the engine sit awhile before assuming it is full…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.