Home Forum Ask A Member Five & half horse Johnson

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    bill-m
    Participant

There’s a guy with a five & half horse Johnson on his lawn for sale. there’s no price on it. This motor is a copper-bronze color and looks to be complete. There is a picture on this website of three of these motors in different horsepowers. This one is a little faded in color but the same motor. The only damage i see is a broken shifter handle. I was wondering what years had the copper-bronze paint job and what it may be worth. I don’t want to knock on the guy’s door until I hear from some of you guys.

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

1956 is all bronze except the wings and decals. 1957 is bronze sides and white top / center, 1958 is the last year for bronze and basically the inverse of 1957 with script "Johnson" on the sides.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

bill-m
        Participant

Thanks for the reply fellas! This motor is all bronze so must be a 1956.

kerry
          Participant

US Member

Since you didn’t mention it, ask about the gas tank. If not included, the price drops. Pressure tanks (two line) are beginning to get pricey.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here are a couple pics of a nice CD-13. Not mine.
              -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

chinewalker
              Participant

US Member

Making some assumptions – if the motor is basically sound – turns over with compression in both cylinders, nothing beyond the shift handle broken, it might be worth offering $40-$50. If it has a gas tank with it, add another $25 to your offer. If it is shown to have new coils in it, add another $25. If the guy can actually run it for you on the included gas tank, maybe go a little higher, still. I wouldn’t go over $100, unless it’s really nice and can be shown to run…

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

nice motors easy to convert to single line tanks for non purists … mine purs all day no complaints

50$ and usual parts is cheaper than the tax on a new motor !

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

frankr
                  Participant

US Member
                    quote Chinewalker:

Making some assumptions – if the motor is basically sound – turns over with compression in both cylinders, nothing beyond the shift handle broken, it might be worth offering $40-$50. If it has a gas tank with it, add another $25 to your offer. If it is shown to have new coils in it, add another $25. If the guy can actually run it for you on the included gas tank, maybe go a little higher, still. I wouldn’t go over $100, unless it’s really nice and can be shown to run…

Dang, motors sure are cheaper up there than down here. 40 bucks for a 5.5? I wish.

bullie
                    Participant
                      quote FrankR:

quote Chinewalker:

Dang, motors sure are cheaper up there than down here. 40 bucks for a 5.5? I wish.

Same here Frank. I don’t get many for under $100.

chinewalker
                      Participant

US Member

$40-$50 for one with unknown issues – you can easily drop another $150 into one to get it going again, then find a tank. Coils, points, condensers, hoses, carb kit, water pump impeller, possibly a shock absorber in the lower unit, and like I said, that was an opening offer. If the motor really looked clean, it can go up from there… Better to start low and go up, because you can’t go back if you start high…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.