Home Forum Ask A Member Gas disposal question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    rjoynt
    Participant

US Member

Yesterday I picked up a FD-10. A 1956 15hp Johnson. Along with the motor came a pressure tank and line. Inside the tank is a full tank of gas. OLD. Probably ten or more years old. Any ideas on how to properly dispose of the gas?
      BTW. The motor is an electric start!!!!! All for $75.00!!!
      Merry Christmas to me!!!

joecb
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Old gas works great for killing poison ivy.

Joe

stanley
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I run it through fine mesh strainer and mix it a little at a time to my lawn mower gas or to my old trucks gas tank.Done it for years no problem.

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

Some counties have drop off sites, or yearly
            collections at various towns in the county.

Prepare to be boarded!

Rob
            Participant

US Member

I run it through fine mesh strainer and mix it a little at a time to my lawn mower gas or to my old trucks gas tank.Done it for years no problem.

^^^^^THIS.

Pour it through some sort of strainer and mix it with the fuel of anything with a carburetor. EFI engines can get a little more finicky about that sort of thing but it never stopped me! One time, I straight up poured 2 gallons of old premix into an almost full tank in my pick up truck. The ratio was about 20 gallons of E-10 and 2 gallons of old, nasty premix. My truck (1999 Silverado) never knew the difference and that was 20k miles ago.

Rob

Rob

opposedtwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yep, I have poured old premix in my gas tank and have never had a problem. Strain it first like stated above, and put some in just before you fill it up.

stanley
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I use the same paper strainer funnels that I use when mixing finishes.Get them at Napa for free as a regular customer.

beerman57
                  Participant

Call your local landfill, we have a hazardous waste drop off here. Our ground water can get polluted pretty easy. We can also put used motor oil in jugs out for pick up on trash day.

1946zephyr
                    Participant

I clean parts with old gas

jerry-ahrens
                      Participant

US Member

I tried using it a little at a time in an old Nissan car I have. Didn’t have any trouble for a while until I used 50/50 old gas mixed with new. I stuck a fuel injector open, and went through complete misery fixing it myself. A reman injector for that engine was $130. I will never put old gas in my vehicle again. But that’s just my humble opinion..
                        I give all my wast oil to a local scrap yard to heat his shop with, as he has a waste oil heater. He told me he likes having some gas mixed with it. It’s easier to pump and the heater burns it fine.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.