Home Forum Ask A Member Has Anyone Done This With Pressurized Tank

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    MonkeyButt
    Participant

It might be a stupid question but has anyone ever converted a Cruise A Day tank to a single line system? I restored a 1954 Fastwin 15hp to a single line system and I wanted to use the original CAD tank. I removed the pressure line and hooked up a regular line to the tank. Works great with no issues.

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.

billy-j
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Looks like a good idea if you want to maintain some originality with a conversion. Looking at it you could probably use the tank black button to prime instead of the squeeze bulb. Also you could plug the air line fitting instead of leaving a stub of hose open and just crack the black fill cap open to vent the tank. Also a black fuel hose would make it look like an original fuel set up. Personally I like the original pressure set up as they work well with no issues and I feel they add to the experience of using a 1950’s OMC engine. But if I did a conversion I think this is a neat idea to use the original tank for looks. The thought of using a plastic tank always turned me off. Bill,

johng
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Not that exactly: But I did add a single line fuel fitting to one pressure tank-for shop use. then some jackass stole it. Tank worked fine either way. Stan

fisherman6
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have not. I have several pressure tanks and several suction tanks. If I converted a 50s motor to a fuel pump it would be for the convenience of being able to use a single line tank that I could buy a replacement for anywhere. I like the pressure system also and believe it adds to the experience of running a 50s OMC like Billy J said. If a person didn’t have a suction tank and needed one, this is certainly a workable solution. To me though, the single line and squeeze bulb has already taken away from the originality enough that I wouldn’t worry too much about the tank. That’s just me.
            -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Mumbles
            Participant

I haven’t done it myself but I think it was the late Art Sesselburg who did it and used the original dual fuel/air line so it appeared to be a functional tank. Up near the motor end connector, he cut the air hose and installed a small filter, something like a gas filter used in small outdoor equipment, to keep dirt and dust out of the tank. It looked good and no one could tell the difference with a casual glance.

Thinking about it, a person could go one step further and cut the air hose under the motors hood. That would really fool the masses!

chris-p
              Participant

When I do an oil recovery system on 50s OMCs, I add a fuel pump, yet keep the original pressure tank. What used to be the "AIR" line is now the oil return line back from the motor.

Looks original, runs off a fuel pump, and contains the excess unburnt fuel/oil mix.

outboardshed
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Chris P, great idea! I’ll have to try it.

melugin
                  Participant

US Member

I had been using pressure tanks on fuel pump motors by opening the air line also, just to keep them ‘live’. With the questionable condition of squeeze bulbs and check valves, this might be the way to go. Not to mention the debatable properties of some current fuel lines.

dave-bernard
                    Participant

US Member

mercury actually made them. about 1954

scoot
                      Participant

Chris_P. How does the oil recovery feeding back in to the fuel tank affect the gas/oil ratio?
                        Thanks.
                        Scoot

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.